Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MM fund refund?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default MM fund refund?

I would like to offer a refund to anyone that is not happy with the spending I have done on the new project T/A.

I was unaware that the purchase of some items; the wheels I bought for example, would offend anyone.

The reason i got the wheels was not because wheels come before turbo kit, etc, hell look at my old pictures.. I was on my third engine before i put wheels on the formula!

I went in the market for some wheels as a treat from myself to myself because I recently had a 1,200 check show up as reimbursement for some medical expenses I had when my buddies car i was working on fell on me last
Thanksgiving.

I was interested in any wheels in that range, and these I happend to get a smokin' deal on these for the same amount and they are amazing!. I could drive on these for 6 months and still sell them for a profit if I wanted to... I don't.

FWIW I have not even cashed the tech donation money check, but there is no doubt I have a large collective debt that it will go to use on.

The fund was not my idea, but I thought I understood correctly that the spirit of the donations were to help me get another custom turbocharged ls1 f body going again as soon as possible. I feel I have done that... custom wheels included.

Confused
David
Wheels ---->
http://www.richmondperformancemuscle.../original.aspx
Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats wayyyy tooo much bling for you, you should sell the to me, lol
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

I didn't donate money to tell you how to spend it.

Good Luck and keep at it man.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Typically, donations are made (and accepted) to/by people in need. I think it is great that everyone felt bad about you wrecking your Formula, as we are a tight community. But, all of us also know that racing has its risks, and I'm sure you were aware of those as well. We have had several members wreck, some even killed. In extreme circumstances, I think donations seem logical. Someone just putting their hotrod fun-toy into a wall doesn't really warrant "donations". It would have been different had this been your only vehicle, or you were injured, or too broke to recover from this.

For examples, when Steve Turley wrecked his Formula, nobody donated to him. When Steven Fereday (Wormboy) wrecked his Z28, nobody donated to him. Those also happened this year. I suppose people didn't think those two needed any financial help, for whatever reason.

So, when you buy all these fancy parts, and post about them, people start to question your "need" for those donations.

"Donation" implies helping someone in need, and can be translated differently by different people. Hard to justify the "need" for someone to own a 1000 HP weekend toy, and fund it with donations.

In other words, the organizers should have named it a MightyMouse Sponsorship Fund Then nobody would complain!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:46 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Nine Ball. Btw, is this your day job? It would've taken me all day to write that. I have no preference or opinion on this subject, fwiw.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I'd have had money to donate, I'd say keep it...those rims are sick!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im confused. U got a 1200 dollar check from a medical reimbersal. U spent 1200 on wheels. Therefore u didnt use donation money. Unless people wanna say that anythign that u spend money on is comin from the donation. In that case should they get mad if u pay ur cable bill? Lol.
Those wheels are sick man. What are teh dimensions?
Also about NineBall's comment. I understand where u are comin from sayin that it shouldnt be a donation as its a toy and not a daily driver and hes screwed now. But at the same time this isnt www.MyDailyDrivenFbod.com. Its LS1tech and the FI forums. Everyone that BELONGS in here knows what its all about. Its a love affiar and he jsut lost his "lover". I totally think that its a donation and not a Sponsership fund as its people grouping together to help a friend. And MM is pretty much a staple around here, and most other forums that have to do with LS1s and Fbods. He had it together for a few weeks and then wammo. So i think its warrented. But then again im just another faceless name in cyberspace. GL

John
Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

youre doing the right thing and returning the money imo. the donations shouldnt of been accepted in the first place. hand outs are for homeless people, not people spending 1200+ on rims.

also its not like you were in the hospital and you had a wife and two kids, she doesnt work, now your family has no income. then i would of helped out myself.

thats not the case.

i 2nd everything tony said. it wasnt a sponsorship fund. if it were, then none of the comments that were made...would have been made.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally would have felt like an ******* for accepting money were I in your shoes, but that doesn't mean I speak badly of you for it. People weren't forced into donating to you, it was their own free will. The biggest problem I have is using this site as a sounding board for it -- now everyone who has some kind of mishap might fell inclined to start a beg thread or maybe his buddies will to help ease the financial burdon. I'd hate to see that happen, because that is not what our community is about.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody want to donate to the Tyrone Biggens cable television fund?? j/k. it is what it is.. What did people think you were going to do with the money.. Save mankind or create a cure for cancer?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Its your money, and the only people that have a right to question how you spend it are the ones who donated it IMO, those are the people who should have a say if the money should be returned or not.

That being said, as said by others above, I felt badly when you wrecked your car, but never did the thought "I'd better send him a few bucks to help him out" cross my mind. Before you think I'm selfish, if you had posted that your car was wrecked and you needed a hand taking it apart, towing it home, pushing it on the trailer, whatever, I would have done anything within my power to help you (obviously assuming you were closer, lol).

You get the point. You have to do what you feel is right, if you know that the donations are going to be used in the spirit in which they were intended to be when they were made, then use them. If you feel that it should be returned, then do that. Either way, I'm not going to think any more/less of you as a person, its not like you posted saying that you needed the money, then bought $1200 wheels.

Shawn

Last edited by SPANKY LS1; 10-26-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were in your shoes I would return all the money and close the case. That way no one can complain. I did not donate so I am just an outsider.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

I think you should personally give everyone that donated a ride when the car is done. It will be like they're paying for a rollercoaster. Then maybe take them out to dinner.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wow.. you took a collection for a weekend toy that you dont even need? I wont degrade this thread by personal opinion.. but I question the audacity of asking people to fund your personal weekend fun. I ask this.. what is the difference then in someone asking for funds to buy a condo in FL that they dont need, but want?

It would be totally, totally different if you lost your only transportation, or lost a limb, or had some type accident in your family and needed donations to survive. But to use this forum to gain funds for simply something not even remotely needed is, well .. i'll leave that to you

NOW that being said.. I cant question people donating. Its their money and their choice, and I have no place to say anything about what someone does with their money. However, if you misled them in the reasoning for donations, then yes i would say issue a refund...

(Forest Gump Voice)
"Aaand thats all I have ta say about thaaaaat"
Old 10-26-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Wow.. you took a collection for a weekend toy that you dont even need? I wont degrade this thread by personal opinion.. but I question the audacity of asking people to fund your personal weekend fun. I ask this.. what is the difference then in someone asking for funds to buy a condo in FL that they dont need, but want?

It would be totally, totally different if you lost your only transportation, or lost a limb, or had some type accident in your family and needed donations to survive. But to use this forum to gain funds for simply something not even remotely needed is, well .. i'll leave that to you

NOW that being said.. I cant question people donating. Its their money and their choice, and I have no place to say anything about what someone does with their money. However, if you misled them in the reasoning for donations, then yes i would say issue a refund...

(Forest Gump Voice)
"Aaand thats all I have ta say about thaaaaat"

In fairness to MM, he did not ask for anything, some members and friends of his put the idea out there and took up a collection and forwarded it to him. If he did that, I think everyone would feel the same way....
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

i say keep the money and only for 1 reason....the people that gave you the money knew what they were giving to.....its not like you said you needed the money or else you would have to sell your first born so you would not lose your left nut....they all knew that it was to help you get your car back on its feet. For that reason alone i say keep it.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Typically, donations are made (and accepted) to/by people in need. I think it is great that everyone felt bad about you wrecking your Formula, as we are a tight community. But, all of us also know that racing has its risks, and I'm sure you were aware of those as well. We have had several members wreck, some even killed. In extreme circumstances, I think donations seem logical. Someone just putting their hotrod fun-toy into a wall doesn't really warrant "donations". It would have been different had this been your only vehicle, or you were injured, or too broke to recover from this.

For examples, when Steve Turley wrecked his Formula, nobody donated to him. When Steven Fereday (Wormboy) wrecked his Z28, nobody donated to him. Those also happened this year. I suppose people didn't think those two needed any financial help, for whatever reason.

So, when you buy all these fancy parts, and post about them, people start to question your "need" for those donations.

"Donation" implies helping someone in need, and can be translated differently by different people. Hard to justify the "need" for someone to own a 1000 HP weekend toy, and fund it with donations.

In other words, the organizers should have named it a MightyMouse Sponsorship Fund Then nobody would complain!
+1000
Old 10-26-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

I do believe this was MMs daily driver and after the wreck he had to borrow a car to drive around.. Am I correct?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

thats why i put up the post, anyone who wants their money back please let me know.

i guess what i should have done is taken longer to find and buy the things i wanted for the new car.. that way it would look like i'm scraping by when i am really dead even.. as opposed to getting the things i want for the car lined up like now and being 11 grand an counting in debt. follow me?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fund wasnt made by you, it was made to help you get back into a turbocharged ls1 car. The reason most people did it was because of what you have donated to the community, not necessarliy because of your loss. It is your choice to spend the money on the car however you want. Wheels, paint and many other choices make a cool car, not just the motor turbo combo. People shouldnt have donated if they had something in mind they wanted you to use the money for.

Quick Reply: MM fund refund?