Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What are you using to relieve crankcase pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you using to relieve crankcase pressure?

Like the title says, alot of STS guys are having this problem and I am going to be installing my kit soon with about 15#s of boost and I dont want to puke oil all over my engine bay. Post up what you got.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM

anyone?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Catch can/ Breather...

Kyle
Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

It seems that the very best way to return the oil on an STS kit is to add a fitting into the side of the oil pan, above the oil level. Having all of that oil returning through the valve cover only adds to problems these engines already have. Bob
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with both.oil return in the pan and a breather system.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

You know what is kinda funny I called Thunder Racing to ask them about there breather they have that screws onto to the oil fill spout and the guy that answered the call said he had never heard of a dip stick blowing out unless you had a broken ring gland, I have my oil return going back into the side of the oil pan and I still randomly get the oil stick popped out. I have a rebuilt forged motor and did a leakdown test which tested good, I am also pushing #13 with the STS. So I am looking for something to do as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Kyle... did you tap those valve covers seperately for the Catchcan? How much oil do you accumulate?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

bulldog.. perhaps you and others with this symptom do not have the pcv system set up correctly for forced induction. there is a good chance you are putting boost directly into the engine via the hose between the throttlebody and the passenger valvecover.

if this is not capped off at the tb, and valvecover vented or preferrably to before the turbo, then it is real bad.. and crazy if STS did not take care of this in the installation.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

So you guys are saying that returning the oil to the pan will aleviate these issues somewhat? I seem to have more issues of oil coming out of the oil fill cap under boost even though I have it scewed diectly into the vavle cover now and safety wired to the head. I did have oil spewing out of the dipstick before modifying that some.
I saw this post here on Tech, anyone else have luck with this?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=oil+blowing
How does the oil being dumped into the fill neck equate to more oil blowing out the drivers side pcv line? Just asking here becase I've been battling this oil puking issue for a while now. What is the arcitecture of the oil galleries, are they connected in some way?
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have yet to experience any of these problems with my kit. The pcv block of system is working on mine. Though this winter I'm changing to a catch can system to keep oil out of the intake.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The STS kit has a solenoid to prevent the pressurization of the crankcase. The problem with some of our cars is blowby (mine had it since it was new). It was really bad on my car until I put breathers on the oil cap and the pcv system. I still spewed oil though until I tapped the oil pan and returned the oil there. When I finish my forged motor I'm going to do it right and use the intake before the turbo to suck the pressure out of the crankcase. I will be using a catch can, check valves and an LS6 valley cover. My pcv will be only for show at the emissions station.

There are some really good threads on here showing ways of doing this.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

The STS kit has a valve like system connected to the TB and valve cover there is a valve of some sort that opens when in boost that is suppose to let the pressure out into the atmosphere. I think I am going to try to block off the TB line and do some sort of breather on the PCV line. Will this mess up the pcv system? I have heard that if it is not set up right then it will make your oil go bad faster
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Im going to tap the oil pan for the return.

So basically I could do away with all the sts pcv crap, Y both PCVs from the valve covers together to a catch can then to a breather and be good correct?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:38 PM

I know venting it in front of the turbo wil cause a vacuum to pull the crankcase pressure out but wont that get oil all in my intake tract? Is there a catchcan that can flow enough CFM to not screw anything up, or does it really matter. I just dont need oil spewing under the hood while hauling *** down the road catching 15K worth of mods on fire.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Im going to tap the oil pan for the return.

So basically I could do away with all the sts pcv crap, Y both PCVs from the valve covers together to a catch can then to a breather and be good correct?
No, that is not enough.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I know venting it in front of the turbo wil cause a vacuum to pull the crankcase pressure out but wont that get oil all in my intake tract? Is there a catchcan that can flow enough CFM to not screw anything up, or does it really matter. I just dont need oil spewing under the hood while hauling *** down the road catching 15K worth of mods on fire.
A catch can will work fine here.

If you don't want to do this just put a breather on the oil cap, vent the valve covers to the atmosphere and make sure the other lines to the intake/throttle body are capped. This basically eliminates the PCV system, should work just fine and will make your car smell like an old truck when you drive it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 PM

I have an LS6 valley cover, someone mentioned you could use that more effectively. Would the best way be for me to cap both PCV outlets(both valve covers) and run a hose off the LS6 valley cover to a catch can then before the turbo?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

couldnt you run breathers to the exhaust and have it suck it out that way.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

actually what 1slow suggested along with a check valve in line with the pcv valve works just fine for me. Only been up to 10psi but it works. the dodad that sts provided failed to work even at 5psi.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 PM

So it sounds like I just need to ditch all the STS PCV crap right and run the setup we are talking about? What is the check valve for? To allow vaccum in the crankcase? This turbo stuff is all new to me, Im a all out N/A and nitrous kind of guy, just starting to get my feet wet in all this boost/vacuum stuff.

Quick Reply: What are you using to relieve crankcase pressure?