Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping heads only, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping heads only, need advice

The instruction on LS1howto is pretty good, but I need some advice anywhy.

1) I see no reason to remove the water pump, I'm not changing the cam. No bolts in the water pump go into the heads, only the block.

2) What is the best way to getting the steering pump out of the way?
a) do I remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump's mounting bracket to the head and lean the pump forward.
b) do I remove the pulley and then the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket. If I do this, how do I remove the pulley? what tool fits the center of the pulley, and is it simply turn off while holding the pulley?

I have a 1999 Camaro SS. I'm down to the water pump business for the dvr side head. The pass side head is ready to take off.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM

I can't remember the the pump having to come off if you're not doing a cam swap. So, I believe you're right there. Also, you can get the PS pump bracket off with a wrench and some patience. There is not need to have to pull the pulley off. The pump and bracket will come off in one piece. After it's off, just set it to the side.

Ben T.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
The instruction on LS1howto is pretty good, but I need some advice anywhy.

1) I see no reason to remove the water pump, I'm not changing the cam. No bolts in the water pump go into the heads, only the block.

You can probably do it this way, but I used the water pump holes and a miti-vac pump to suck the block dry and avoide a big mess when the heads come off. No coolant in bolt holes this way either.

2) What is the best way to getting the steering pump out of the way?
a) do I remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump's mounting bracket to the head and lean the pump forward.
b) do I remove the pulley and then the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket. If I do this, how do I remove the pulley? what tool fits the center of the pulley, and is it simply turn off while holding the pulley?

I did it on a Vette and removed the bracket (PS pump and alternator bracket) and leaned it forward tying it with a small line to keep it out of the way. I have also read of a number of guys damaging the PS pulley when removing, so that might not be the best way to go unless you have to.

I have a 1999 Camaro SS. I'm down to the water pump business for the dvr side head. The pass side head is ready to take off.
Answered the questions above.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, that is what the instructions say on LS1howto. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the right tool you can get the PS pulley off without damaging it within a minute or two. Infact Advance Auto sells a decent one for $20 or so. I've pulled mine on my S10 about 5 times and it works flawlessly both removing and installing everytime.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I do have a pulley remover set. Maybe its time to use it.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Is it a power steering pulley puller kit or a generic puller? I'm almost confident a conventional 3-jaw puller would crack the stock pulley to pieces. That's if you could get it to fit between the motor and the radiator.

Ben T.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
Yea, that is what the instructions say on LS1howto. Thanks for the reply.
those instructions are including a cam swap, so You have to pay attention to what you are doing.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

orangeappeel: The instruction that I hardcopied are for "head swap". There is a separate set of instruction for "head and cam swap". The head swap only instruction do say to remove the water pump. I thnk that the head-cam swap instruction may have been written first, then they copied them to creat the head only swap but missed taking out the water pump pull stuff.

Anyway we all agree that the water pump does not get removed for swapping heads only.

Studytime: My pulley set has split jaws and an outer thin ring to keep them together. This worked very well.

To all: I am done,, I decided to pull the pulley, with the proper pulley puller set, the pulley came off rather easy.

Thankyou for all the help, you guys are great!!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of threaded hex head plugs of the water jacket in the block. The easy one to remove is on the odd side. It nearly drains the block(big allen key). You should still use compressed air to get out any remaining water residue which won't be much after you pull the plug.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Studytime
Is it a power steering pulley puller kit or a generic puller? I'm almost confident a conventional 3-jaw puller would crack the stock pulley to pieces. That's if you could get it to fit between the motor and the radiator.

Ben T.
use one strictly for the ps pump...i broke my pully trying to be a cheep ***