Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock-up questions

Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock-up questions

I just installed a transgo kit to try to solve my converter woes. I don't know if it really worked. What exactly is lockup supposed to work?

If I'm going 60 and I let off the gas, is it supposed to stay at the rpm it is set at (2000) or so, or is it supposed to sit there for a second and then drop to 500-1000?
My car seems to not be able to make up it's mind on what it wants to do, but the higher I get in speed the more it does the latter.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

anyone explain how it feels when there car locks up?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will feel it when the converter locks, what converter do you have? Your car should do nothing different from stock when you are going 60 & let off the gas..The car will slowly decelerate & unlock at about 45mph or so
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

OK I shouyld have explained my situation better. I have a FUddle 3400 with the tune set to lock the converter at 40. I can't really remember what it felt like stock becuase I never paid attention to the way the shifts felt before the TC.

I want to knowif this is normal and if not what it means.

If you let off the gas at say 60 should the RPMs stay at 2000, declining in unison with speed, or will it fall back to 500-1000 by itself, while the car is still going like 57 until you hit the throttle again.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The rpm will fall off because the input sprag at least in the od position is free wheeling and the converter unlocks at zero throttle ,However when you come back into it slowly you should be able to feel a distinctive bump when the converter clutch comes back in ,
Hope this helps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Not true, with the stock tune the converter will remain locked until you reach a low enough speed. Stock tune calls for a 35mph unlock so your RPMs will not fall to idle and you cannot coast. The car will decelerate if you don't keep your foot on the gas, producing a "braking" effect. If you do not fall below the set unlock speed, it will only unlock when you push the brake pedal. With that shift kit you should feel a very noticeable bump during lockup.

For the converter to unlock at zero throttle that has to be changed in the tune. If the converter does fall to idle and your car coasts (which is kinda nice and I will probably have my car tuned that way) your TCC is unlocked.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Damn performabuilt got my hopes up. It seems to act exactly like what he described, though it seems to do it if I keep it in 3rd too. I do have a tune, but I don;t know if he hnaged anything like that. Now I'm just really confused.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I cant say one way or the other with the newer cars i havent really paid attention so I cant verify that , the earlier 4l60e acted just as i describled ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

But if it works exactly as I described then I would say reguardless you do have lockup working ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
But if it works exactly as I described then I would say reguardless you do have lockup working ,
ok thats good news. I had the codes I was getting deleted at autozone yesterday, ets see if they come back...
Old 10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

my lock up clutch is goin bad in mine, but before it went bad the car would lock up at 35mph on a flat road with very light throttle and it would stay locked up until i got below 35 or hit the brakes. after i let off the brakes though it would bump back into lock up if it was above 35. what its doing now since the clutch is going bad is i'll be cruising and it will make a grinding noise and it will unlock randomnly, but locks back up after a while. and when im cruising when that happens and let off the gas the rpms drop to idle.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
my lock up clutch is goin bad in mine, but before it went bad the car would lock up at 35mph on a flat road with very light throttle and it would stay locked up until i got below 35 or hit the brakes. after i let off the brakes though it would bump back into lock up if it was above 35. what its doing now since the clutch is going bad is i'll be cruising and it will make a grinding noise and it will unlock randomnly, but locks back up after a while. and when im cruising when that happens and let off the gas the rpms drop to idle.
My car unlocks when I hit the brakes, but doesn;t lock up right after I let off the brakes. I have to get on the gas a little again for it to relock. My clutch has never clattered, grinded or anything like that. It had a tendency to lock up randomnly because I was throwing codes (misfires, bad seloniod, P1870) that made it not lock. I hope the clutch is still in good shape.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the way you describe the converter locking back up is consistant with the way I explained it should work yesterday ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

thank god,

Now it's time to start getting more than 16 mpg.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Its like having a 5th gear... imo
Old 10-27-2006, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes the fuel do hurt.
We are actually toying with the idea of 9.5 inch lower stall converters for the economy minded , lower mass , better fuel conomy , Just and idea we are toying around with , Any thoughts?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-27-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

What do you mean by lower, a lower stall than stock? I don't think that will sell very well lol.
Aren't most aftermarket TCs 9.5 inch? I know Fuddle isn't, but there apperently remanufactured GM converters. If your talking about a smaller diameter converter that's probebly a good idea, though I don't know the pros and cons of this because I'm far from an expert in this area.
WEll, the transgo didn;t seem to work, the code came back. Were to go from here?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry to hear that, All i can say now is you either have a converter issue , or some sort of leak in the converter circuit, But In most cases that I have seen that the transgo shift dosent fix it its been the converter, 1870 is componet slipping and baring the obvious a clutch gear slip which its my understanding all your shifts feel good its generally the converter,
I do hate you went to all that effort though without results , I feel for you have been there and done that,
If theres anything we can do to help just yell ,

As for the small converter with low stall we allready have the high stall this was for a different market than here and was just an idea .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

The idea may be good. I don't know what market your shooting for, but if it will actually work to gain mpg, some people may buy it. But people trying to save money on gas don't usually buy these types of cars lol. I don't know how you would market that type of converter, because I doubt those types really look into modifications for that purpose. Also, I imagine the cost of converter and install would be quite expensive and take a looooong time, maybe years, to gain one's money back on the investment. But it may be a money making endevour, with luck on your side.

I guess theres a chance I'll be at your shop having a converter installed soon. No offence but My money don't come from nowhere. I don't want to get this converter replaced and fine a couple miles down the road I need a whole new tranny either. The parts and labor costs will kill me.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Fuddles have been approx 10" diameter. The standard,
that I sent back uninstalled to upgrade, and the HP/Street.
They were nohow a stock diameter.

If you are locked (and holding) then the simple test is, roll
on the throttle a hair and watch the tach. Unlockied you
will slide on up in RPM without moving MPH. Locked you will
load up the motor and not move in RPM until speed goes up.

Now, converters with weak clutches or suffering from line
starvation (thank the GM programmers) will not hold much
torque before beginning to slip. But below some threshold
they will hold, then flare softly, then unlock as you roll into
the throttle.

Locked or unlocked at 0% TPS is a tune datapoint, can be
either way. I prefer freewheeling to engine braking myself.

P1870 has popped on mine -purely- from converter slip.
Once P1870 sets the PCM will not attempt to lock anymore
until key off / key on resets this notion.

You really want to get a look at the PCM's TCC_Mode in
circumstances where you'd like it to be locked, but it
isn't. You have to see the intention and whether it says
it's being held off for misfires.

Search this Thread