Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan modifications?

I cut about four inches off the deep section of the pan so it would clear the Mercedes engine compartment cross member and the rack & pinion steering assembly. Now what? It looks like I need to whittle up the steel plate that fits in the sump and modify the oil pickup tube. This is a standard rear sump pan on an LS6.

How critical is that plate and how critical is the sheet metal part that sticks down into the sump? Can I just carve off the part that would have extended into the portion of the sump I whittled off? Do I need to keep that sheet metal shield?

Is the pickup tube modification to merely extend it further back and down into the sump? Any specifics on how far from the bottom of the sump it should sit?

Thanks,
Mike R.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pan modifications?-separator-plate2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question for our Conversions & Hybrids section.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you are planning on running a remote oil canister to give you more capacity? If you cut off about 4 inches on that pan you lost almost all your capacity. The pickup tube and the tray that houses it are very well engineered pieces and should not be quickly discarded or modified. I suggest you do some research on oil windage and oil control in oil pan design or take it to someone who has some experience with it. Otherwise you will be re-building the motor in much sooner than expected...
Just my .02

Originally Posted by mramay
I cut about four inches off the deep section of the pan so it would clear the Mercedes engine compartment cross member and the rack & pinion steering assembly. Now what? It looks like I need to whittle up the steel plate that fits in the sump and modify the oil pickup tube. This is a standard rear sump pan on an LS6.

How critical is that plate and how critical is the sheet metal part that sticks down into the sump? Can I just carve off the part that would have extended into the portion of the sump I whittled off? Do I need to keep that sheet metal shield?

Is the pickup tube modification to merely extend it further back and down into the sump? Any specifics on how far from the bottom of the sump it should sit?

Thanks,
Mike R.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for starters I would try as hard as you can to keep that steel plate. It helps keep the oil in the sump when you're starting, stopping and turning.

You should also take a fes pictures of your pan and post them so everyone knows exactly what you cut... I think that will help us get a better idea of what you are up against.

-Dave

Quick Reply: Oil Pan modifications?