Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy !oil Leak!

I've recently gotten this oil leak out of my 99 Firebird Formula. Of course I have the original LS1. Now I've smelt oil before but, I really noticed the leak today after my car started acting funny after a race last night. Well I lifted the car up a little higher from the front of the car. I noticed my Y-pipe had oil on it and that it was leaking from the rear of the engine and looked almost as if it was leaking from the tranny. Now the only things I can think of are a leaking rear seal, oil pan gasket, or loose oil pan bolts. I've ruled out a blown head gasket or leaking valve covers only because there was no visible oil on the fire wall. What do you guys think is the most likely source of my leak? and if anyone has been through this fill me in. Gracias!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a rear main seal. Pull the trans, I just went through all this after the rear main seal went bad and leaked oil all over my new clutch . Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirtybird99
I've recently gotten this oil leak out of my 99 Firebird Formula. Of course I have the original LS1. Now I've smelt oil before but, I really noticed the leak today after my car started acting funny after a race last night. Well I lifted the car up a little higher from the front of the car. I noticed my Y-pipe had oil on it and that it was leaking from the rear of the engine and looked almost as if it was leaking from the tranny. Now the only things I can think of are a leaking rear seal, oil pan gasket, or loose oil pan bolts. I've ruled out a blown head gasket or leaking valve covers only because there was no visible oil on the fire wall. What do you guys think is the most likely source of my leak? and if anyone has been through this fill me in. Gracias!
Honestly it is almost always the rear engine cover gasket, of corse to replace that gasket you must also replace the rear main, so kind of a two birds one stone type thing.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Default :)

I am replacing my rear seal today. The Felpro replacement came with a paper stating that the leak may not be from the seal but from the bolt holes themselves. It says that some one piece rear seal chevy motors where drilled and tapped too far by GM and the oil actually is coming through the flexplate bolt holes. I think this is my case because my flexplate bolt threads are covered in oil. Anyway, something to look at. Also, I am an LT1. Weither it is limited to this motor it did not say.

JD