Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt tensioner help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default belt tensioner help

hey guys, i have a 99 SS Camaro and the serpentine belt started squealing about a week ago so i changed the belt and it was fine. a few days ago it started again so i changed the idler pulley and the belt tensioner pulley but it is still squealing. also it only squeals for like the first 3 to 5 minutes on a cold start. i took off both belts and spun each pully and noticed nothing unusual. i am thinking it is the actual belt tensioner itself. i've heard this is pretty common with LS1's. i also have underdrive pullies and ive heard they work the stock belt tensioner pretty hard. any other suggestions? also does anyone have any experience with the comp cams tensioner or G2 billet tensioner? thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
hey guys, i have a 99 SS Camaro and the serpentine belt started squealing about a week ago so i changed the belt and it was fine. a few days ago it started again so i changed the idler pulley and the belt tensioner pulley but it is still squealing. also it only squeals for like the first 3 to 5 minutes on a cold start. i took off both belts and spun each pully and noticed nothing unusual. i am thinking it is the actual belt tensioner itself. i've heard this is pretty common with LS1's. i also have underdrive pullies and ive heard they work the stock belt tensioner pretty hard. any other suggestions? also does anyone have any experience with the comp cams tensioner or G2 billet tensioner? thanks in advance
did you change both pulleys? the one for the normal acc. and the one for the ac?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i changed the ones for the normal accessories but not the a/c. i did take the a/c belt off and spin and look at the pulleys and they looked fine.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Launching!

I couldnt find those ac idler pulleys anywhere, I heard I may have to buy the whole assembly.. So now I'm just running the car with no ac belt so I dont have to listen to the shitty pulleys.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man. im gonna take my a/c belt off today and see if those pulleys are the problem. running no a/c belt wont hurt anything unelss you turn the a/c on right?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GeArBaNgEr56
I couldnt find those ac idler pulleys anywhere, I heard I may have to buy the whole assembly.. So now I'm just running the car with no ac belt so I dont have to listen to the shitty pulleys.

You can get the whole assembly as Oreillys for about 60 buck a piece. Thats where I got mine.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
thanks man. im gonna take my a/c belt off today and see if those pulleys are the problem. running no a/c belt wont hurt anything unelss you turn the a/c on right?
Wont hurt it at all, just dont run your ac.