Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might have a terminal block, swapping heads problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might have a terminal block, swapping heads problem.

One of the bolt holes for the heads keeps filling up with coolant. I have blown it out hundred times, but 1/2" of coolant keeps seeping into the hole somehow,, I think that I have a crack in my block.

One other thing that I do not understand is that the block is still full of coolant even though I drained the radiator. I can see coolant in the v-cut near this head bolt hole.

What can I do? I want to completely drain the block on coolant, how do I do that? Is there a sensor that I can remove low enough to lower the coolant below that of the bottom of this bolt hole.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick a shop vac up to the thermostat hole. Suck that bad boy dry. Some people do a head swap like that to prevent having to clean the bolt holes out after the fact.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Good suggestion, thankyou.

I believe now that I assumed incorrectly. I have to run a thin rubber hose down to the bottom of the head bolt holes and then blown it out. Apparently, the holes are too deep to have an air hose at the top, blow out all of the coolant.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take strips of paper towel, twist them and insert them down the holes, pull it out, tear off the wet part, then do it again (i bought a pack of 100 long cotton swabs, worked great too). After all the moisture is out, grind a notch lengthwise in an old head bolt and run that down a few times. When you can run that bolt all the way down by hand, the holes are ready.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
Good suggestion, thankyou.

I believe now that I assumed incorrectly. I have to run a thin rubber hose down to the bottom of the head bolt holes and then blown it out. Apparently, the holes are too deep to have an air hose at the top, blow out all of the coolant.
I got one of those air gun attachments for my compressor. After hitting it a few times i got all the coolant out. Take your time doing it, do it over and over if you have to. Beats cracking the block. BTW what hole do you think had a leak?? I too had a hole that seemed to have an endless supply of coolant in it.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks again. Yep, lesson learned here. Either do the paper towel trick or slip a hose ALL the way to the bottom of those bolt holes & blow it out.

And, as stated above, the threads must be cleaned out too, I have one that is very stubborn.