Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle and popping

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle and popping

ok so tonight my car started acting funny and its kinda worrying me. When i sit at idle after a couple of seconds the idle gets very rough and the car starts shaking but the rpms stay constant, and i get like lil pops coming out of my exhaust randomly and almost every time the rpms drop after a slight blip of the throttle.

Now i installed longtubes a few weeks ago and still have not got it tuned so that may be part of the problem, but my question is now that the headers are broken in is it possible that these are symptoms of bad o2 sensors? If so ive been anticipating them going out because of the ceramic coating but i dont know what happens when they go bad everyone says the car drives liek crap but is what im describing sound about right?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p8ntmunky
ok so tonight my car started acting funny and its kinda worrying me. When i sit at idle after a couple of seconds the idle gets very rough and the car starts shaking but the rpms stay constant, and i get like lil pops coming out of my exhaust randomly and almost every time the rpms drop after a slight blip of the throttle.

Now i installed longtubes a few weeks ago and still have not got it tuned so that may be part of the problem, but my question is now that the headers are broken in is it possible that these are symptoms of bad o2 sensors? If so ive been anticipating them going out because of the ceramic coating but i dont know what happens when they go bad everyone says the car drives liek crap but is what im describing sound about right?
Do you still have the air tubes? I had the egr and air tubes hooked up and it did the exact same thing. I removed the air tubes and put block off plates on and all the popping was gone.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

yea i still have them but its not the same pop as when the air is activated when the car is cold, dont they only run for a few minutes during cold starts? not the whole time

if that is it why would it come out of no where almost a month later
Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

also check your spark plugs and wires, make sure no arching is occuring. I thought i had a vacuum leak and it was my #1 cylinder plug arching.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's true. Does your car have an EGR that bolts to the pass side head? If it does it could be a vacume leak on the pipe that goes in to the intake right behind the throttle body. I have heard and seen one that had that oring go bad and it would idle rough and kind pop out the exhaust. You can take sone spray carb cleaner and spray around it to check for leaks. Sound like you have a vacume leak for sure.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

no i dont have an egr but i just seafoamed my car last weekend, i wonder if the brake booster hose is a little loose
Old 10-29-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

that would do it. Can you hear a hiss if you have the hood up?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just had a thought, after you seafoamed it did you change the sparkplugs? You may have some plugs that are kinda fouled. That would do it for sure, the rough idle and the popping.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

no i did not and that is def a good possibility that they are fouled also would me running rich also help burn out the plugs?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

no i did not and that is def a good possibility that they are fouled also would me running rich also help burn out the plugs?
you bet, but most likely it's because of the seafoam. Change your plugs and I bet it will be fine. I also seafoamed mine and it ran shitty after. I had to change the plugs because they were toast after the cleaning.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

ughhh its gettin cold i dont wanna do this lol i guess i got a project tomorrow...any suggested plugs? ive heard some good things about ngk tr55s
Old 10-29-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

ughhh its gettin cold i dont wanna do this lol i guess i got a project tomorrow...any suggested plugs? ive heard some good things about ngk tr55s
tr55's for sure. TR6's if you are spraying.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use the AC Iridiums in my TA and my vette. I like them
Old 10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Did you leave the plugs in when you put the headers in you might have a cracked plug. His car is a 2001 so he doesnt have EGR just AIR. Do you have a SES light????? IF the 02 where bad the the SES light would be on.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

yea i do have a ses but i also took off my rear o2s so i may have more readings then i think i guess ill get it scanned today.

Originally Posted by like the view?
also check your spark plugs and wires, make sure no arching is occuring. I thought i had a vacuum leak and it was my #1 cylinder plug arching.
what do u mean by arching?

Quick Reply: Rough idle and popping