Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's talk about PSI and how cams affect it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Let's talk about PSI and how cams affect it...

I learned today that a smaller cam will increase boost on the same setup if you used a bigger cam. I had no clue this was he case. I know bigger cams bleed off compression, but I did not know they decreased resistance in the engine as well. Now the bigger cam will make more peak power with less boost the little cam will improve low and mid range, but will show higher boost. Can someone more technical speak?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I can't speak more technical but it makes sense to me. The same principle applies to NA motors. The bigger cam will make more peak but the smaller cam will make more low end.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boost is a measure of how restrictive your engine is... if a smaller cam is showing more psi then the larger one your thinking about, then the smaller one is causing more restriction to air flow...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

You actually can't measure by boost for something like this if the system is waste gated. You have to measure flow (CFM), not pressure (PSI).
Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
You actually can't measure by boost for something like this if the system is waste gated. You have to measure flow (CFM), not pressure (PSI).

you are correct, the turbo will just spin more to produce the same boost it was setup for, so a cam/heads swap on a turbo car could make a big power increase, but a blower car you need to change pulleys to see the real increase, power output is a good indicator of cfm

Vince you pretty much got it right on, more boost doesnt mean more power.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to a little bigger cam and lost about 2lbs. of boost. To get my boost back up i had to get a smaller pulley. My thing is which is better, more boost or a bigger cam?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
I went to a little bigger cam and lost about 2lbs. of boost.
And how did it run?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it seemed to run about the same seeing how i did not have it tuned yet. It breaks up really bad now in the upper rpm's.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
I went to a little bigger cam and lost about 2lbs. of boost. To get my boost back up i had to get a smaller pulley. My thing is which is better, more boost or a bigger cam?
That is a good question... Can someone answer this?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koncrete
boost is a measure of how restrictive your engine is...
Boost is NOT just a measure of how restrictive the engine is. If your intake ports and cam posed no restriction whatsoever, you still want positive pressure in the intake manifold and the cylinder at BDC compression. Think of it this way, if you improve the intake port/cam, then it lowers the pressure in the intake and raises the pressure in the cylinder. In the ideal situation, the two pressures are equal, but still positive numbers (boost).

Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, well what does boost measure then?

Originally Posted by engineermike
Boost is NOT just a measure of how restrictive the engine is. If your intake ports and cam posed no restriction whatsoever, you still want positive pressure in the intake manifold and the cylinder at BDC compression. Think of it this way, if you improve the intake port/cam, then it lowers the pressure in the intake and raises the pressure in the cylinder. In the ideal situation, the two pressures are equal, but still positive numbers (boost).

Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Air pressure above atmospheric at the point of the gauge tap. With temperature you can factor air density. This has been discussed several times here before. The idea is to fill the cylinders with a higher density of oxygen. When you remove an exhaust restriction for instance you've made the space you need to fill larger which lowers the pressure if airflow remains the same.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Cams are a mechanical way to keeping valves open. Seems like a bigger cam would keep the valves open longer and provide less restriction. The potential downside of running a huge cam in a street car like Vince's is that there might be a downside in terms of reduced driveability, and potentially a loss in fuel economy. I wonder if Intmd8 would weigh in, I know he has some feelings about this.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Hmm, well what does boost measure then?
Boost, with temperature, can be used to determine the density of the air in the intake. Obviously, you want the most dense charge possible entering the cylinder.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

bigger cam as in lift should help power its the duration that will screw things up.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by engineermike

Mike

I agree, however I was trying to state it in simple terms... if your engine flows a certain CFM then when you go over that CFM you increase the PSI that PSI increase is a direct relative to the restrictions of your system... this is why when you add larger exhaust/intake whatevers it results in being able to move more CFM and lowers the PSI....

in simple terms PSI is reflective of how restrictive your engine is....
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Keeping power the same while lowering boost (larger yet appropriate cam, high flow heads, etc) will keep IATs down, which should improve knock resistance at the same power level and type of gas. This is speculative, but makes sense to me. When I went to better aftermarket heads, I lost a couple psi but the power levels were exactly the same. This only applies to supercharged applications btw... turbos will produce the the same amount of boost due to the way their controllers work.

And easy example to see is a Sanden air conditioning compressor. They pump a fixed volume for every rotation. Period. If the high side line were disconnected, there wouldn't be any pressure built even though the same amount is being pumped. If the high side line were blocked, pressure would build until the compressor stopped turning, something explodes, or pressure bleeds past seals. In an "ideal" supercharger application, a fixed amount of air will be fed into the engine for every rotation of the supercharger shaft. If you increase the engine's ability to consume air at low pressures, then the air entering the engine (while exactly the same amount) will be at a lower pressure. There are all kinds of things that make supercharger applications non-ideal in this sense, but the principles are the same. All other things held constant, the engine will produce the same power in each case because it's based on the amount of air going through it. The important thing to consider is not the pressure (PSI), but the other factors that make the system non-ideal, because they do affect the resulting power.

A primary one is temperature. A supercharger with a higher pressure ratio will be producing air at a higher temperature. If your heads/cam package breathes better, the resulting intake temperatures will be lower for a given amount of air flow. This is good.

Another one is how well the cam is allowing the engine to remove all waste gas (exhaust) from the previous combustion cycle, yet contain fresh air from the intake for the next combustion cycle. This is the driving effect behind the fact that blower cams have traditionally longer duration than NA cams.

You should also consider a superchargers efficiency range - volume of air pumped based on pressure ratio and shaft speed. I haven't seen any real world analysis on this matter although I know it exists simply because the moving parts aren't ideal models. This may or may not make much difference in the scheme of things, someone else would know better. This would be affected by the type of supercharger of course.

If this didn't make sense let me know.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

it didn't make sense..

j/k
Old 10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an easier one. The big inflatable toys that kids play inside. The fans push basically the same cfm under all conditions. If the toy has a small vent hole for the air to get out, it will inflate (build pressure). If you make a bigger hole for the air to get out, it will deflate (loses pressure).

The fan is blowing the same amount of air in both case.

(actually it may be moving a little more air with the less restriction - the bigger hole...)

We care about how much air is getting into the cylinders, not how much the air backs up between the valve and the blower/turbo.

(or back to the toy example, we care about how much air gets out of the vent hole, not how big the toy blows up.)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Shorty Director

Interesting guys. I have a smaller cam on my current setup. It shows about 1.5 psi more than equiv setups with much bigger cams..

Quick Reply: Let's talk about PSI and how cams affect it...