Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessories questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accessories questions

Ok guys, i'm doing an lq4 swap into my 97 240sx, i have a thread here going on about the swap. Since i have more room under my hood than the s13 cars, i'm thinking about running the corvette accessories because i like the look of the alternator up top following the lines of the fuel rail covers.

My question is this: Will my lq4 accessories work if i just buy the corvette mounting brackets and pullies? I'm assuming i'll have to buy a new water pump for corvettes, but if i can reuse the alternator and ps pump then i would be dollars ahead.

On a side note, does anyone know if my lq4 fuel injectors will work in an ls1 manifold with ls1 fuel rails?

Thanks for looking guys!
Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am almost 100% sure that the accys are different, I know that the f-body and truck accys are different. Although people have made them fit by machining spacers and adapters to put f-body accys on the vette brackets. If you know someone who works at a salvage yard you could ask them to check the hollander interchange.

The injectors will not be a direct bolt in either, the truck injectors are not the same height as the car injectors, I believe the truck injectors are shorter. A search should be able to turn up that info though.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help, I guess I will just take off all my accessories and sell them as an entire package and look for a complete set (minus ac) from an f-body and just deal with them not looking quite as good.

I'll do a search for the injectors too, thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Default vette accessories

The water pump is the same, thats why it has that large pulley area. The truck pump has the outlet pointing up though. Corvette alternator is different to the truck as well as power steering. Look on the sticky under conversions and hybrids, they have all the part numbers. I bought mine from Scoggins Dickies Chevy, one of the sponsers
Rich
Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, sadly, not a whole lot interchanges from the trucks to cars.

Accessories: Pretty much nothing is the same between the car and truck stuff. The water pump is different (by a couple inches and the outlet is different (hits stuff when used with a car intake)). The Alt's & PS pumps don't interchange at all (Trucks, F-body, & Vettes all use different stuff, nothing interchanges there). Basically, you've got to use all the same series components or the offsets (distance from block) won't be the same and they won't line up. (The car water pump is shared, and some of the idler / tensioner stuff is too, but there aren't universal rules there).

Don't forget about the harmonic balancer, it changes too.

The C5 / C6 access are about the most expensive (maybe the CTS-V stuff is more, dunno) either used or new. Truck stuff is the cheapest, F-body stuff is somewhere in between. I've had good success with used stuff, and you can save a bunch of money over new (I've got a 145 Amp truck alternator that I bought from a salvage yard in Ohio for $50, looks so new I almost couldn't believe it was used).

The Truck Injectors are different than car stuff. They've got a cap on the end of the injector that you've got to remove in order to plug into the car manifold. Supposedly the o-rings are different. The lengths are different (I can't remember which one is long / short). The plugs / connectors are different so they don't interchange from a harness standpoint. They CAN be made to work on a car manifold (did it) but there are a bunch of things to work through.

Hope that helps.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Yea, its definitely looking like i'll just be using the f-body accessories and brackets and call it a day. I'm not trying to break new ground here, just basically get this swap into my car and save money where i can.

The injector idea may be something that i need to try, either that or try to find the ls1 clips from the ls1 harness. I'm just thinking that it'd be harder to find the clips than it would to mod the injectors a bit.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and help guys! I've slowly got more parts coming in and i'll be updating my swap thread as i do anything major.

Quick Reply: Accessories questions