General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help

Well, I think it is the pinion but anyways I need you guys's opinion.

Well i've had the car since about last December and its always had this noise but has seemed to get worse. Example, I've been in cars that have a tranny whine, but this is overly rediculous, I can't even hear myself think, its enough to drive you crazy sometimes...It only happens when its clutch is engaged, car is in gear, and moving...Also, at a dead stop moving in 1st or going in reverse it has this kind of a dull squeeking clunking noise (stops once you get moving)...Also, its very jerky, i've drove cars with 410's, 373's and 342's (ls1 camaro's & vettes) and they've never been this jerky when letting off the gas. I think some of that might be to a clutch problem but not totally sure. It seems like when you let off the gas that it almost disengages the clutch or something, it doesn't slowly rev down.

Any ideas on what's the deal?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Launching!

bump?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey if you can record the sound for us, thats always a huge help. You have made sure your trany has not hit anything major visual wise? Bleed the hydraulic clutch after checking the fluid level if its low. And 1 parting idea for you, worn Pressure plate :0

Good luck and post back with a sound if ya can.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy way to check rear end is by moving the drive shaft back and forth (rotating motion) and see how much back lash is in the gears. If the drive shaft moves like alot before the pinion hits the ring gear than there is your problem. The pinion should move very little before engaging the ring gear.