General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car's Hard To Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car's Hard To Start

Got a wierd issue. 2000 TA is hard to start pretty much anytime. After it starts it runs great but if I shut it off and try to start it again, nothing. I have to sit and crank it over quite a few times before it'll fire. I've got good fuel pressure at the rails, doesn't throw any codes, new fuel pump has been in for close to 6k miles. I've changed the plugs cause this is it's nice way of telling me it's time but it didn't work. I've checked all my plug wires with a multimeter and they are all fine. So I'm at a loss right now as to what is going on. I'm going to pull the fuel rail off tonight to see if I have a leaky injector but if anyone has any other ideas throw em out..

Oh the car is a H/C car with AFR205's, FAST90/90, 30lb injectors, racetronix fuelpump..

Tails
Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well since you checked the cars wires and i guess your getting a good charge from the coils....that rules out that problem....you could have a leaky injector like you said...this would cause fuel to leak down into the cylinder, BUT that doesnt explain why the car wouldnt work again right after you shut it off....car doesnt make any sounds? or has any weird smells does it?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Naw no wierd smells, Had another friend tell me it might the ignition relay. And after doing a search here on that subject there was alot of threads with the same problem I'm having. I'll swap it out with another one when I get home later today.

It's frustrating cause the problem is very intermittent and I don't get a code, security light, nothing. Plus the problem just started with it a few days ago out of nowhere. Thank god it's not my DD or I'd be ticked..

Tails
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Yep ended up being the ignition relay. Swapped the starter relay and the ignition relay and it fired right up then swapped em back and it wouldn't start. So went down to checker, picked up a new relay, and it's all good now..

Tails
Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Teching In

hey man i think i have the same problem. it starts no problem cold but if it sits or like an hr or so it is hard to start unless its like starting cold again. where is the ignition relay and how do you replace it.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Launching!

The relays are located under the hood on the drivers side towards the headlight. You should have two box areas. You should see labels like IGN, Starter, A/C, etc...

In your case since it starts cold but not hot maybe you have a leaky injector or something. But it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

Tails
Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Teching In

how do i go about fixing a leaky injector .. i am just trying to think of everything
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similiar problem except I can shake the engine harness and then it will start , I have checked all plug connections at all sensors and have cleaned all the grounds but once it starts it runs like a champ. I might try swaping the relays just to try it.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramair6
how do i go about fixing a leaky injector .. i am just trying to think of everything
That's easy. If it's leaking replace them..

Tails
Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

My car does something similar but mine has trouble when its cold wheater. I start it and it revvs up high like around 2500 rpm then it will go all the way down and shuts off. I could give it a little gas but it will do the same go up to 2500 rpm by itself then shut off. Does anyone know what that can be?
-Ivan