General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help troubleshooting clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help please: clutch problem

Car is a '99 Hawk @ 80k Miles, with the six-speed and Hurst short throw mechanism. Throwout bearing has been making some noise for a few thousand miles, sporadically. Seemed temperature and/or humidity based until last 500 mi, where throwout bearing always made noise when depressed. Last night while sitting at stoplight, bearing was making quiet whine as I expected, but then made a *bump-rattle* and got a lot quieter afterward. I felt the *bump-rattle* in the clutch pedal as very small thumping vibrations. When I went to pull away from the light I was startled to find about 3/4 inch pedal travel which was disengaged at the floor and fully engaged at 3/4 inch pedal raised. The pedal stayed near the floor while engaged and even after shifting twice to get out away from traffic and the light. I then put my foot under the pedal and drew it back up. After which the pedal worked magnificently for several blocks, but by the time I was ready to park, it was making the whine again, and seemed about ready for another *bump-rattle* combo.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AirForce; 10-30-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

did the pedal sit on the floor?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Teching In

It did, but once I pulled it up it stayed back up... it just sat (very near) the floor for a few shifts until I used my toe to pull it back up.

I appreciate the reply... but I ended up swapping all the flywheel assembly and hydraulic mechanism for some crisp, clean, LS6 ones. It's smooth as glass under my foot now. No chatter, and lots of grab . Wasn't even half as hard as I expected to bleed either, and that's after draining all the burnt DOT-3 (or what was supposed to be DOT-3) and swapping it for some higher-temp DOT-4). The throwout was completely shot, and felt like rubbing two bricks together. The hydraulic portion of the throwout was melted to high-heaven (plastic retainer on the spring).