Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

$800 for a new fuel pump? rediculous

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $800 for a new fuel pump? rediculous

so on my way back from englishtown, which was rained out so i didn't get to race, I stopped off to get some food. when i came back out to my car i went to start it and it didnt turn over. I called my mechanic from home and he was sure it was the fuel pump. It got dropped off at a local AAA garage and he also said it was the fuel pump. he called me this morning stating that a stock fuel pump is going to run me $800 and labor will be around $400!!!! I know the labor might be that much involved because of the need to drop the tank out and such, but no way in hell am i paying 800 for a stock fuel pump. I looked around online and came across this replacement http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F98-FPKG-2.html
so will this be able to just replace my old setup? i will be getting it towed back to my home where my mechanic who worked on my engine swap to do this project. Let me know if this is a good deal and should i go through with it on my 98 SS....
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw your title, I was going to recommend the Racetronix pump. Looks like you already found it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

do it yourself and save the time and money, the reason its so much is cause the mechanic has to drop the tank to take out the stock pump, if you do the "cut the hole" mod it will be cheaper.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cut the access panel and do it yourself. Its pretty simple and It will save buttloads of time AND money.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 PM
ggk
Launching!

i hate how everyone says cut the hole and make an acess hole.
what are people going to say when they are trying to restore these cars in like 25 years?
i know i do it when i see what they do to 2nd gens.
Guy #1" ha ha look at this retard. he just cut a hole in it to do it the easy way."
Guy #2"yeah people back int he day just didnt do things the right way."

i know i laugh when i see a factory 455 super duty 4 speed car with a 403 olds and auto and the tranny hump blaster with a plate covering the hole in so he could mount a cheesy t-handle shifter.

sorry for the rant but people need to do stuff the right way. it only takes like 4 hours to pull the rear drop the tank and install everything again.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

http://jobberonline.biz/FuelPumprepairkits.html 49 for the repair kit or 115 for the entire module.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

what is sad is most foreign cars have an access door for the fuel pump.I think as long as you do it right and seal it properly there is nothing wrong with cutting the hole.That said i've seen some real butcher jobs cutting holes for fuel pump replacement.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have it on a lift you donn't even have to pull the rear end. On mine I just dropped the panhard bar exhaust and heatshields and slid the tank sideways and fought the bastard out wo taking the tank all of the way down. It takes a little manuevering but it
s doable.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

is there any walkthroughs on how to go about cutting to get to the fuel pump? I just ordered the racetronix pump and will will be having my mechanic at home do the job next weekend. If i can show him how to do the cut through that would definitly save me and him some time and me money. Let me know what steps are involved and how much time it takes to normally do the job compared to the cut out.... thank you!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

'Trap Door Mod' Writeups.

Its pretty straight forward.

http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html
http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ggk
what are people going to say when they are trying to restore these cars in like 25 years?
Guy #1" ha ha look at this retard. he just cut a hole in it to do it the easy way."

i know i laugh when i see a factory 455 super duty 4 speed car with a 403 olds and auto and the tranny hump blaster with a plate covering the hole in so he could mount a cheesy t-handle shifter.

sorry for the rant but people need to do stuff the right way. it only takes like 4 hours to pull the rear drop the tank and install everything again.
i guess modding a car is beneath you, and us low level hi-po junkies are worthless scum because we dont do it the "right way".
You dont come on ls1tech to (for the most part) learn how to keep your car Factory.
apples to apples a 455 SD is in no way shape or form the same as 98 ss, even then a SD was already know to be rare, what where they 74 or 76...please correct me if i am wrong which i am sure you will,
either way your comment isnt fair. Choosing your words better will go along way.

The fuel pump cut out is an easy way to access your fuel pump making replacement time about 30 min to 1 hr tops including cutting the hole.
When i had my 98 Formula i cut a hole to access the fuel pump, with all the changes i made with the car i tried many different fuel pumps and settled with a duel walbro intank set up i made, before i sold the car it was returned to a single walbro intank pump.

My 68 not only has the cut out but the tank is also sumped, i doubt if anyone will ever laugh at that ,ever , unless is out of pure joy.

Careful what you write, we might be the ones towing you off the track one day.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I did the door method on my 98Z and never regretted it.One of the best mods I did for future work.Being from Ohio,when I was in florida this past february and the fuel pump died,I had a spare along and changed it at a I-75 exit in 15-20 minutes.Couldn't have done that without the door mod.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ggk

this is a good point.

But old school cars were about 500% easyer to work on.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow..Id like to get his rates.. removal and instalation of a fuel pump...$200/hr.
You can even afford to have a friend help.

But for starters....if your car doesnt turn over, it isnt anything fuel related.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may be able to drop the tank without too much problem. The only problem with that is taking the catback of. If you can do that, i would.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Default 98 ss

i just replaced my pump on 98 ss 2 weeks ago. i dropped the tank, was fairly easy job ..just takes a while to do.Did you already order your racetronics?? I have one brand new not opened to return or sell.I decided on a stock one once i got everthing apart... i decided if i ever modded car it would be SEVERE mod. and would need even more pump. anyway its available and i would include a stock sender etc( my old one .. new stock ac delco setup came complete). You need to put car up high as you can on jack stands or lift,drop exhaust, remove shock lower ends, sway bar links, heat shielding, vapor and fuel lines, electrical etc..even after all that you still need to "tweak" the filler neck down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get the fuel tank pivoted out of position...any questions shoot me a pm...its fresh in my memory...gm svc dept says 5.1 hour job...i spent about 9 with some inetruptions...and about 1 hour realigning tailpipes...plus i am way to ****!! Anyway i would drop tank again before cutting the hole...its really not bad job...difficulty 1-10 about a 4 ...just a pain being on your back....oh and get a decent siphon and get out as much fuel as possible ..makes handling easier.
Ryan
Old 11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Good god, anyone pay attention to how many of these things were made every year? Ain't rare, ain't collectors cars, and modded cars ain't gonna hold value. Deal with it.

Dude, my personal advice is to cut the door, and get it all done in a matter of an hour or two. There's lots of places to get instructions and detailed pics of how to do the door mod. Makes life a WHOLE lot easier...

For the purists, the door mod is irrelevant. When the car gets it's 25 year resoration, it can be welded back in and repainted, top and bottom, just like any problems with rotted out 69 Camaros.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ggk

I see your point.. but I dont see any 80's F-bod's going for too much at Barrett Jackson.. reality is these cars are a dime a dozen, even the "special editions" save for the Hawks, Blackbirds, Bergers and ZL1's. If the hole is done properly I see nothing wrong with it. Remember when everyone said you had to pull your engine to do heads on these cars?
Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trust
I see your point.. but I dont see any 80's F-bod's going for too much at Barrett Jackson.. reality is these cars are a dime a dozen, even the "special editions" save for the Hawks, Blackbirds, Bergers and ZL1's. If the hole is done properly I see nothing wrong with it. Remember when everyone said you had to pull your engine to do heads on these cars?
What!!! Kit doesn't sell at Barret Jackson! Smokey and the Bandit! WTF is going on around here? I understand not wanting to cut into your car. Bottom line is do you have the minerals to do so or not? I ahhemmm dont lol.... Your mechanic sounds like he is rippin you one. I had my racetronix installed and it was less than half that price here in TX...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

oh yea that guy is a total rip here. Of course he isnt my mechanic because im down here at school and AAA would only bring it 2 miles to the closest place. So now its been sitting there for over a week. On friday when my AAA plus membership kicks im gonna take off with the car and have it towed back home to my real mechanic to get it done right. So i heard it takes about 4-6 hours to do this project without cutting the hole method? so that should be about 200 bucks for $40 an hour.

Quick Reply: $800 for a new fuel pump? rediculous