Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Billet Grille owners w/ SS emblem inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Billet Grille owners w/ SS emblem inside

Question for you guys. I have the 1970 Chevelle SS emblem that has the right shape and all, but how did you guys mount it on the Grille? The two prongs in the back will need to be cut, then I was thinking of cutting the little metal plate supplied and try to use something to hold that plate on tight in the back, which would hold the emblem on. Has anyone done it this way? How did you guys do it? I really don't want to "aka" glue it on.

Really amazed at all the gunk behind the SS grille. I am ashamed. LOL
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt

Just waned to see if any of you with red camaros painted the area behind the grille black?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of ppl do
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3800RS
alot of ppl do
So the question here would be where do they start and stop the black? Just a little puzzled.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Launching!

my ss emblem has the prongs cut shorter and then its attached using 3m double sided tape not by me by the fromer owner its not proper but it works
Old 10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cut the metal plate enough to hold between the slats on the grill but also so that it couldnt be seen. it is then held on my two self threading nuts that are not supplied but you can get off anything old gm. check in a junkyard on old emblems and turn signals for a couple of the nuts, they are 7/16. after you tighten them just cut off the rest of the stud so it fits....i did mine this way and it holds perfect and no gluing
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

I cut two squares of sheet metal and drilled a hole in each. I used JB weld to mount the metal onto the grille and used it again after I put the emblem prongs through the holes. I also drilled a hole through one prong and I put a zip tie through it and around the grille so there is no way I can lose it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly my emblem had three prongs. I cut one of them off completely, and then used a dremel to put flats into the other two prongs, that sat flush on the grill lips. This put some structure in place bearing the weight of the emblem. From there I did the nasty like everyone else with JB weld, but in my case the posts still being there gave it something to bond around, so there's a solid loop. I have the actual structural strength of the JB weld working, not just the adhesion strength.

Can't say this is the best way but it's been through a year and a half now.

I also recommend painting the area behind it. There are plenty of write ups. Depending upon the grill you have, it might be mounted with 4 self tapping screws. You don't want to be taking those in and out of the bumper anymore than necessary so make your mind up about the painting before you remove it again (or install it for the first time).

I masked off about a 1/4" deeper in the pockets than where the grill sits. You're working on a curved surface so it's hard to get perfect, but the fact is when the grill is installed, and with the way you see that area, you can be really far off and it isn't noticeable at all. Just be patient, careful with your masking, use light coats, let it dry, take your time.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used a 69 camaro emblem which needed to be heated and bent to fit my stull grille
Old 10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
i used a 69 camaro emblem which needed to be heated and bent to fit my stull grille
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW guys, thanks for all the info. I like the idea of self threading nuts on the back of the prongs and them cut em off.

On the paint thing, I just dont like the idea of masking off an area where there is no definate place to start and stop the paint. That area behind the grill is one molded front bumper, which makes it difficult.

Quick Reply: Billet Grille owners w/ SS emblem inside