General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

RPMs are hanging up.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs are hanging up.....

I've been talking about my IAC valve in the external engine forums.

My RPMs don't want to seem to come down much when I lift my foot off the gas. Like when I'm approaching a red light, I need alot of brake, cuz it doesn't come down much below 1200 rpm.

Once I am stopped, after a few seconds it will fall to 550 or so (normal range) and stay there. So I know I don't need to adjust my cable.

If I am stopped, with my foot on the brake, and I release the brake, the RPMs will climb by itself. And keep climbing.......as if I am accelerating by foot. I can get up to 30 mph (eventually) without ever touching the gas pedal.

Yesterday, I got a SES light. It was scanned at ADVANCE and it was (I've forgotten the #) IDLE AIR SYSTEM, HIGH RPM.

I've cleaned the IAC valve several times, so I decided to replace it. But the new one hasn't done any good, either.

It was suggested that I take off my TB and clean it up, which I will do this weekend. But are there any other suggestions?

BTW, this whole thing started after I Seafoamed the TB, so maybe I just have a gob of goop in there somewhere.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a good idea about the goop...do me a favor...i want you to check the hardware of the TB....go to the little bosch solenoid unit where the throttle/cruise cables come from...take the black top off and rotate the gears...take your bellow off and when you turn the gears all the way and let them go...see if the plate closes all by itself....this can give u an idea of wether is a electrical issue of the TB or just a hardware issue....check back
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

I can do that in the afternoon.
Are you talking about the round black thing that is near the battery?
When you say solenoid, i think electrical.
Did you mean servo?

What I'm talking about is the round black thing,near the battery, that has the cables going in and out of it. The rotate around the gear. then they go up to the TB.

Is this the thing you're talking about?

The more I think about it, that is a damn good idea.........

I know the blade snaps closed when I do it by hand, at the TB. But I've never been able to check it by stepping on the pedal. If something is hanging up in that servo, it would cause the blade to hang up, as well. Hmmmmmmmmm....
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry....yea...thats what i mean, i was thinking cylinder and said solenoid....but thats it...it will control the throttle cable...sometimes when working under the hood one of those black cables will get a nice tug and it will throw that servo out of wack....like i said its a easy way to see if its the hardware or a sensor issue
Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I did take a look at the servo, and it seems fine. But I didn't do anything else.

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
I would pull the TB, clean both sisde of it and make sure the IAC port is clean and that the IAC pintle is clean. Reinstall everything and plug the IAC back in, turn the ign on and then unplug it. Turn ign off then back on with the IAC unhooked then back off. Re connect the IAC turn ign on and start car. This will allow the ECM to relearn the IAC open and closed points.
I'm starting to thing that it is just a PCM issue, as was suggested before, cuz the car runs better everyday. Maybe it just needed a few extra cycles to recognize and learn the new part....
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

i honestly dont see how seafoaming the TB would make the pcm trip into "relearn" mode....hmmm....but if its getting better, then i guess what does it matter
Old 11-02-2006, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

No....... I think the Seafoam may have actually ruined the IAC valve.
Remember, I cleaned the thing several times, to no avail. When I pulled it out for the first time to clean it, it was greasy grimy and very black and carboned up.
But when I bought this new one, and a few cycles had passed, it returned to it's old self.
So I would suggest spraying the Deep Creep after the blade and just wiping the front of the blade with a soaked rag. Not spraying the throat too much.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

get on it then....have you change out the valve again?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i believe this is a common problem... I think it was last year, i bought used ls6 intake manifold and a ported TB. Besides cleaning, went back to stock TB but it kept on doing the same. So I assumed it was from LS6 intake. Me and my buddy tuned it messed with the idle a lot, as u can see why from my cam It runs almost fine now. Sometimes tho especially I start driving it at high RPMs, problem occurs again for a little while
Old 11-04-2006, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

IT'S FIXED!!! w00t!!

Starinback...........you nailed it. It was throttle cables all along.

I spent the day cleaning the TB, messing with IAC, looking for vacuum leaks, etc...
I had looked at the cables before, but had convinced myself they were OK.
But today, I revisited the possibility of sticky cable, and I found it. It's not something you can see with the eye, cuz a millimeter will make a difference.

Even the guy at ADVANCE let me return the IAC valve and got my $133 back.

It's a great day!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

....its like buttaaa
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

This was such a frustrating problem cuz it wasn't happening all the time.
I would think it was fixed, and then it wasn't.
I thought the IAC fixed it, but obviously not.
So I take back what I said about the Seafoam, it obviously had nothing to do with it.
I changed my plugs right after the treatment, and pulling and moving cables around must have been the culprit.