LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hide your Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hide your Nitrous

Where do you hide your nitrous? is there really any place to do so?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I've seen guys put their bottle in the spare tire area. As far as hiding the solenoids, who knows. You could mount the solenoids down in the radiator area and run long lines to the nozzle underneath the intake tract. However, hiding the throttle switch is out of the question.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Forgot that with the Zex kit this could be possible since it uses only output from the TPS instead of a throttle switch.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use a FJO controller or a zex box then there won't be a visible WOT switch. Just a wire running to your tps. That could be easily hid.

If people know anything, they will probably find it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

I had my zex box hid behind the CAI on my LT1 and all the wires were in factory wire loom (used old factory wire loom so it didn't look new). I took and rapped the box in black so it blended in and ran the NO2 line under the factory intake elbow. You can hide them really good in an LT1 car. I got some guys really good with that set up
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Long story short -- goal of the install was to have a mostly hidden N20 setup where I could use it when I needed it, but it wouldn't be rediculously obvious unless you knew exactly what you were looking for.

I'm pretty sure the pics speak for themself; if you've got questions or anything else feel free to ask. Also, huge thanks to MRR23 (Robert) For swapping the bottle valves for me so that I could use my Wilson Manifolds nitrous filter

The strut tower brace is mostly to take attention away from the firewall (where the solenoids are) than for actual performance gains. I put the stickers on there to make sure that it grabs your attention instead of looking back towards the firewall.

Here is the engine bay with the hood first popped. Nothing really jumps out at you. If you look closely enough you can see the slight piece of silver on the firewall along the driver's side, I still need to trim the bracket, but for now it works just fine. The only true dead giveaway is the three fused power wires that go from the battery the passenger side firewall. I've had multiple people ask me what they're for, usually I say its power to my guages/stereo.

I pulled down the wiring loom a little bit so that you can see where the nozzle is mounted. If you look closely I am running 2 black/tinted covers on my stainless lines running from the firewall to the nozzle. They are mostly sitting in the fuel line wiring loom and not noticeable (especially at night).

Nitrous solenoid on the driver's side firewall. The pictures is kind of crappy but you get the picture. I got some flat 180* roofing brackets from Home Depot, trimmed them down and then bent them at a 90* to mount the solenoid to.

Got the super nice bottle mount from 860 Performance. Great piece.

Jimmy Jams Ashtray switch -- shipped quick from Harris Speed Works

Zex TPS Switch. Kind of ghetto, but was easiest to locate in the glove box.

The purge line is 1/8" aluminum and it routed up along the driver's side windshield. All of the wires are either under the interior or the main set of relays and wires are under the rear seat delete MDF covers. I have a square digital nitrous pressure gauge from dynotune that I have velcroed to the center console, I'll get pics of that today if you want me to.

Last edited by WhyHelloOfficer; 10-31-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice. I haven't installed my 860 mount yet, it looks real good.
I mean if they were to just look real quick under your hood it wouldn't be obvious, but everyone knows that we mount the bottle in the spare tire spot and put switches in our ashtrays.
For me under the hood, the Harris Speed Works sticker would make me start looking.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Teching In

thats the cleanest install I have ever seen! I am going to do my best to duplicate that on my friend's project LS1 car. so that is a dry system then, correct?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice. I haven't installed my 860 mount yet, it looks real good.
I mean if they were to just look real quick under your hood it wouldn't be obvious, but everyone knows that we mount the bottle in the spare tire spot and put switches in our ashtrays.
For me under the hood, the Harris Speed Works sticker would make me start looking.
This is true. For F-body guys they'll start looking to see what they can find. But for the normal person at a car meet in a parking lot -- they'll be clueless. If someone did ask, I'd probably tell them its because I bought new fuel system parts from them
As far as the switches in the ashtray go, I don't normally invite people to sit in my car anyways, so I'm not too concerned about that. The bottle in the spare tire area is actually not too common where I'm from, so I'm alright for now.

Originally Posted by 87lt1rx7
thats the cleanest install I have ever seen! I am going to do my best to duplicate that on my friend's project LS1 car. so that is a dry system then, correct?
No its actually a wet system. The Fuel solenoid on the other side is even harder to see, so I didn't bother attempting to take a picture of it. The solenoids are equal distance apart on the firewall on either side of the mid point, and I've got 2 4' lines from the solenoids to the nozzle. I'd say that is the only downfall of the setup, running such long lines from the solenoids to the nozzle, but I'll sacrifice that in order to keep it mostly hidden.

Like I said, I didn't try to make it completely stealth -- but for the average person trying to point out I am spraying, they're clueless.

People usually don't assume much anyways, because my car is debadged and I took off the Z28 square tips and I'm running dumps -- so it isn't too out of the ordinary. I'm running a semi-mild cam so it really isn't too obvious until I open the cutout anyways. For the most part I'm able to keep a low profile until I find someone to pick a fight with. The other positive is whenever I go to the track I just play dumb and tell them I'm hoping to get into the 13s for the night, so they rarely pop the hood anyways.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Great pics of your install. I am thinking of a way to hide it on my 78 Camaro when I get done.

I am an avid car guy. I go to my grag strip regularly. If anybody has any knowledge of cars when you spray your car than everybody knows that you have it. It is easy to hide for appearance but for running there is no way to hide. But looks can be deceiving.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt post a really hidden setup

Let me tell you alot of people go on forums just to find out were certian cars hide the kits and bottles etc so please dont give away to much guys.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
I wouldnt post a really hidden setup

Let me tell you alot of people go on forums just to find out were certian cars hide the kits and bottles etc so please dont give away to much guys.

I'm looking at it more from a helpful point of view. My intention for hiding it was to keep attention away from people at meets, and cops. If you get pulled over with a bottle sitting between the two back seats, there really isn't much talking your way out of it you can do.

If you are that serious about hiding your setup from people online, then just remember one thing. The question isn't whether or not the person you are racing is spraying, it is how much.

I'm a firm believer in run what you brung. At some point people are going to know what you're running either by hear-say or simply knowing the cars in general. Sandbagging gets old after a while.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

That is amazing man. I love how clean and hidden that is. Props..

-bryan
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

very very nice. how much extra effort was involved to hide it so well? where is your purge?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

How did you run the feed line from the bottle? I haven't mounted it yet but I have the 860 mount, and I've been wondering the best way to run the main line up to the engine bay.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

ive seen people slide black vacuum hoses over the braid lines, doesnt look out of the ordinary
Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM
hashtagBMW

You could purge int the wheel well, while doing a burnout.

Tony.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I know of 6 more places that most people can never think of, I hangout with all LS1 people hehe
Old 10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmccrary
That is amazing man. I love how clean and hidden that is. Props..

-bryan
Thanks. I'm definately pleased with how it all turned out.

Originally Posted by Mrwilson
very very nice. how much extra effort was involved to hide it so well? where is your purge?
There really wasn't that much extra work to hide it, the only work I'd say would be out of the ordinary was running the lines to the firewall and mounting the stuff back there. I had to basically lay on top of the motor and use a 2+ ft extension on the cordless drill to reach back to the firewall and get them mounted on. The rest of the stuff I'd expect you to want to keep your wires loomed, organized, and tucked away anyways (under trim pieces, under carpet, inside the dash, etc.) just to keep the install clean. To each his own. I was able to keep things un-cluttered and somewhat sneaky, so I was pretty happy with it.

The purge I used a 1/8" aluminum line and it goes up along the driver's side firewall and around the back of the master cylinder and goes up in between the plastic trim and the driver's side front fender where it comes up right at the lower windshield of the driver's side. It's covered in loom right up until it comes up out, and its extremely small as it is. I usually just do a quick blip with the purge at the track, nothing too extreme.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
How did you run the feed line from the bottle? I haven't mounted it yet but I have the 860 mount, and I've been wondering the best way to run the main line up to the engine bay.
The main feed line is run along the interior along the passenger side. I basically ripped it all apart and put a wire coat hanger stretched out and just fed it through. Then I put some wiring loom around it where I fed it through the grommet hole in the firewall down by the PCM on the pass. side. That part was a little bit of a pain, but it was the easiest way to go. Don't just run the stainless line through the hole, because if you've got loose wires in there the stainless line and eventually wear through the insulation in the wires. Then I just zip tied the crap out of it on the a/c lines (covered in loom of course) and ran it along the firewall to the driver's side where I have the nitrous solenoid.

Originally Posted by slick1851
I know of 6 more places that most people can never think of, I hangout with all LS1 people hehe
Yeah I'll be running a direct port which will be much more sneaky when I build my new motor. I had a couple of other ideas where to mount the solenoids, but ultimately these turned out to be the easiest and most cost effective. I was tossing around ideas of a dummy (display) battery with the solenoids in there -- but ultimately it was harder getting my hands on an empty optima than I originally planned. Plus my Iceman solenoids didn't fit too well either.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

i will get pics of mine soon.....noone has found mine yet!!!

Quick Reply: Hide your Nitrous