LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ignition idea

All right guys,

I am trying to figure out different ways to do the ignition on my lt1. I will be using a megasquirt so it's a little more flexible on ignition set ups. What I was thinking was(correct me if I'm wrong), the stock opti's weak point is the optical sensor. Now if I use a crank trigger for the signal to the computer I can eliminate the optical sensor. This would make the opti so much more reliable because all it would be doing is distributing the spark. Then I would just have to replace the cap and rotor when they go bad. what do you guys think am I thinking this through right or am I completely wrong?

Any other ignition options would be great. I am going to use the stock lt1 intake, so they would have to work with it.

Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

That should work ok. Just use a timing cover with a crank sensor Everytime it hits #1 it will be able to find the correct spot. That is how the 96-00 truck engines work. THe cam sensor aka distributor on them is for misfire identification purposes only. The weak spot on the opti is the optical sensor and water intrusion. So if you water seal it, loctite the rotor and cap you should be good until it blows up with time. Sounds like it will work without any troubles. Any one else have some input?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks tamu,

Any one else?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Resident

Wait wait wait... You got that the wrong way around, the optis strong point is the optical sensor... And the weak point is using it for distributing spark (the leads are too close together).

(knock on wood).
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Well if I used the opti to just distribute the spark, wouldn't the only things to go bad are cap and rotor?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sensor rarely goes bad. I too am going with Mega squirt to resolve tuning issues!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

True my bad most of the ones we have come through the shop are extremely high mileage stockers now days and it's 50/50 optical sensor and cap rotor. But the way most of us use them it is the cap and rotor that go to heaven first.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

It's typically the high voltage running through the opti that causes them to crap out. The optical sensor is very good and you don't need a crank trigger. You can't get rid of the optical sensor anyway because it gives the computer a 2 position cam sensor so you can run sequential fuel injection. Without the optical sensor you will have to run batch or bank to bank fuel injection. The CPS sensor on the timing cover doesn't do anything other than detect misfires. A lot of people have success with using a LTCC or Delteq conversion because it takes the high voltage out of the opti.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Teching In

So you guys think I should just buy a new gmpp opti and be done with it? I've heard alot of bad things about the opti. Like people having to replace them every year. I'm only going to rev the engine to about 6200rpm, can the stock opti handle that? And I don't really want to spend $450 on a msd opti...sorry
Old 11-01-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

GM opti is the best IMO. One thing to help it out is to put a silicon bead around the cap and base to help keep moisture out. Something else to do would be to get a Delteq kit. They are easy to install and make the opti last a life time because they take the voltage out, which is why when your opti gets wet or something you have big problems, the voltage running through it mixed with water and also the corrosion that builds up inside. Without the voltage, it's pretty much like a LS1 system, except the LS1 uses a wheel on the crank with a sensor instead of a wheel driven by the cam with a sensor like a LT1.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Oh, and what about the accel opti-spark II are those any good?

Quick Reply: Ignition idea