Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fly by wire or cable???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fly by wire or cable???

Ahh, I couldn't find this answer in a serach, and I realize that it may have been asked and anwered, but if you would cut a little slack for a newbie: What the heck is "fly by wire or cable" and how can you tell one from the other?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

both trems have to to with the throttle bodies.
fly by wire is a throttle body that is controled by the pcm. there is no physical cable that is moving the throttle blade when you stomp the gas.

cars like the gto's have fly by wire f-bodies are with a steel cable.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish my fbody could fly

I'm sorry, I just had to
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

fly by wire cars have a newer/better version of traction control. The motor still makes as much power as the wheels can take without spining the tires. The cable cars when traction control takes over the gas pedal is pulled to the floor but the throttle is closed. It boggs the hell out of the car, for a few seconds and has nearly killed me more than saved me! SLP traction control revercers save me
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

04 GTOs have the cable, 05-06 the fly-by-wire. from what i know.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

fly by wire is a aviation term for a computer controlled system that controls the airplane control surfaces.The pilot moves the controls in the cockpit and electrical signals from these controls are used by the computer to fly the plane.
The same basic thing is used in cars to control the throttle plate opening.The gas pedal in the car is a electric signal,that means when you push on the pedal you cause a change in voltage that the computer interprets as how much throttle you want to apply.I personally think its dangerous and i think in the future you will see lawsuits because of loss of control.Look at what just happened to Sarges car.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
fly by wire is a aviation term for a computer controlled system that controls the airplane control surfaces.The pilot moves the controls in the cockpit and electrical signals from these controls are used by the computer to fly the plane.
The same basic thing is used in cars to control the throttle plate opening.The gas pedal in the car is a electric signal,that means when you push on the pedal you cause a change in voltage that the computer interprets as how much throttle you want to apply.I personally think its dangerous and i think in the future you will see lawsuits because of loss of control.Look at what just happened to Sarges car.

You are correct! I belive in auto terms it's called drive or throttle by wire! However if it's safe enough for a 2 billion dollar aircraft to use then I'm sure it will be good enough for cars... some day! I also belive a lot can go wrong w/ it, and there will be accidents in the future caused by this feature when the cars get older. If I'm not mistakened I believe that the new Malibu's have electronic controlled steering . I'm sure as time goes on they will be perfected well enough to be fail safe.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2001bluerata
If I'm not mistakened I believe that the new Malibu's have electronic controlled steering . I'm sure as time goes on they will be perfected well enough to be fail safe.
That nuts!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just think... 5 years down the road, you're driving along down a curvy backroad on a nice summer day. Then your steering locks or goes out of control for whatever reason, bad wire or you blow a fuse, the next thing you know your car is twisted around a tree, or worse you hit someone and kill them!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pretty sure that the manufacturers would be smarter than that. If it blows a fuse or something that it autmatically reverts back to manual operation.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Some of the Toyotas(Avalon) have the drive by wire and the Prius have electronic steering boxes.