Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

CA Smog Legal Forced Induction

Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CA Smog Legal Forced Induction

I was curious what you California guys are doing for smog legal forced induction. I am tyring to plan the future of my car. Basically what I have now is no where near smog legal, so I would like to change directions and build something that will pass as any smog station and still make good power(600+rwhp).

Now obviously, to make this much power, there are some things that have to be done that aren't smog legal, such as a cam. However, the car should only need to be visually, computer, and emmisions legal. Unfortunately this means shorty headers and stock y-pipe with high-flow cats, but a mild cam, ported heads, and forged internals are okay.

Here's what I am thinking... a forged 347 or iron 408 with lowered compression. Either stock heads, Patriot Performance heads, or some 6.0L heads. A good blower cam. LS6 intake with EGR. A Procharger D-1SC or F-1 with a P-1SC serial plate and a 8-rib kit. As for the intercoolers, I am not sure if I can replace them with an FMIC and pass the visual.

What do you all think? I'm sure someone has done something similar to this and I would love to hear all about it. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going for the max effort fully CARB legal setup, just need to finish up tuning now that it's mechanically all finished. I will make >600rwhp on a Dynojet or I will raise the n2o jetting until it gets there.

Callies forged W2W 347ci LS6, P1SC @ 9psi, JBA shorties, Magnaflow metallic core cats, '04 LS6 cam, SLP LS6 intake with EGR (also AIR still intact), some nice heads and an easily removable NX MAF n2o kit. It should pass emissions with flying colors and even the visual with no problem with the n2o removed.

...but the combos you mention below would do it as well. Good luck and post up when you decide !

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS-

I just passed smog with zero issues.

To make doubley sure I wasn't going to get any hassle visual wise I simply removed the charge pipe from the TB and hooked up my stock airbox. Took me all of 15 minutes to do. Drove down to the smog station, a test only at that, and wham bam thank you mam, passed.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was thinking the STS kit also, but I'm not very fond of the design. A guy around here has one on his SS and it hangs way too low for my liking. Sounds badass though, but then again so does a Procharger whistling away

Did you have to show any CARB numbers for your STS kit? I didn't think the F-body kits were CARB legal, just the GTO kits.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

It's all in the install as far as ground clearance goes.

I did not have to show a carb number. Although I know a guy that did use the one on STS's site with no issues. Pretty sure it covers the F-body's. Not 100% though.

With the charge pipe disconnected and the turbo post cat the system is technically no longer part of my emissions system so it wasn't even brought up.

It was finally (after 2 different blower setups on my car) like smogging a stock car again. Zero hassles. One of the main reasons I ditched the blower and went STS.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the Vortech on my truck and the only thing the smog guy said was "wow, that's cool".
I would watch that cam though. THAT will kill emissions.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Todd157k
I had the Vortech on my truck and the only thing the smog guy said was "wow, that's cool".
I would watch that cam though. THAT will kill emissions.
Right... the cam that I would use would be small, in the 210-218 range, if that. Obviously it would be split to allow the blower to breathe better. Or I might even go with a stock or LS6 cam. I'm still just toying with this idea as of now.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to do the old remove the charge and bring it to the stock air box, no problem there! I even went with 01+ manifolds to keep a "stock" look, with cats... Gonna try to pass the sniffer, we'll see what happens, it's 224/220 @ .050 on the cam.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
I plan to do the old remove the charge and bring it to the stock air box, no problem there! I even went with 01+ manifolds to keep a "stock" look, with cats... Gonna try to pass the sniffer, we'll see what happens, it's 224/220 @ .050 on the cam.
I wonder if I could do that with a Procharger. Just remove the plenum and leave the charge hoses hanging near the stock airbox. Sure would look pretty obvious though If that actually works then I guess I could put in an FMIC and still pass smog.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think lowering the compression ratio would be wise, at least not alot. Also the ls6 cam is great for F/I, kp put down some good numbers with it and it wouldnt have a hard time passing smog at all. If you have the p1 with the carb plate I couldnt see why they would have a problem with the front mount but Im really not sure. If anything throw the stockers on for smog. Good luck on doing things the right way . This is exactly how I started then it becomes a snowball effect, Oh headers are easy to take off once every two years then the blower then the rails then cam, Its to late for me hopefully your content with the power you wind up with.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

I would worry about visual inspection the least.

In my experience, it's best to have a pre-existing relationship with a garage that also does smog cert. You can ask to have a "pre-test", and get their thumbs up or down before transmitting data to DMV... and you find out if they're going to find any fault on the visual inspect.

Shopping around, paying for a pre-test at each place, should allow you to pass visual on a car that is obviously not stock (i.e. relocated hi-flow cats with LT headers, etc.). Then it's all up to the sniffer. I had my car (when it was NA heads/cam/LTs) pass at exactly the limit for a couple of California sniffer parameters... made me wonder if they'd done me a little favor. But again, I've been taking my cars there for ten years.

If you REALLY don't want to worry about it, I think the STS with a mild cam would be a great idea. Also more trouble-free on the install. And I wouldn't worry a bit about putting an intercooler on it, as far as inspection goes.

Good luck...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting point of view. For me and a number of my buddies the visual is by far the hardest hurdle to overcome and the reason many of them are out of the modifying game now. Passing the sniffer even with the most radical of setups is the easy part. Finding someone to give the thumbs up on visual has been the hardest in my experience.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if I could do that with a Procharger. Just remove the plenum and leave the charge hoses hanging near the stock airbox. Sure would look pretty obvious though If that actually works then I guess I could put in an FMIC and still pass smog
Thats what I did when I had my blowers. Disconnected the discharge tubing and hooked up the stock airbox. One guy while poking around said hey whats that. I said it's a very expensive fan. What could he say, it wasn't hooked up to anything so he just laughed and said ok and went on with the test.

Problem with the blower is to make big power your gonna need headers and now your in the same boat trying to pass visual. 99% are gonna say you have headers, no way am I gonna smog it.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

99% are gonna say you have headers, no way am I gonna smog it.
I'm going to say that more than 1 % of the techs you'll find won't have a problem with your headers if the whole exhaust system looks right. Just personal experience, though.

If you're willing to shop around to find the right place, I don't think you'll have a problem. But, like Blackbird implies, getting a few "no" answers can really throw some cold water on your modding enjoyment.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you guys, except for Heath are misinterpreting my plans/ideas. I want to be able to take this car to ANY smog station and pass easily, which means not finding a good friend who will overlook the visual. I don't want to have to swap exhausts, which means using stock or JBA headers, and the stock y-pipe with stock or CARB legal cats. Something like putting on the stock airbox for smog is acceptable, because that takes all of 10 minutes, but it would be nice to not even have to do that. I just don't want to have to worry about driving an illegal car anymore, it's getting pretty bad here in Cali.

I agree a turbo would be more ideal with stock exhaust, but that leaves just the STS kit which I really don't like. Heath, do you have any pics of your set-up?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With the exception of headers and cats, visual inspection is easy to pass as long as everything looks OEM. That means your clamps, wire, hose etc all looks like it was there when the car first rolled off the assembly line. When you pop the hood everything should be black. Neon pink will get attention you dont want.

There are no aftermarket CARB approved cats for the f-body. However, a good weld will be overlooked everytime.

Passing the sniffer will be completely based on your cam and catalytic convertor selection. Garanteed you can go bigger than that ***** 210/218. I would bet a 220/224 116 with oem cats would pass no problem. Probably even a 228ex or bigger if your willing to swap the cam out until you pass. Trial and error.

Emissions testing occurs at something like 15mph and 25 mph if my memory is correct. That means intake pressure is negative and there is no way you'll be in boost. Also means the cam overlap is critical. I know of a friend with a 113.5 overlap that passes about 1/2 the time (highflow cats). That is why a middle of the road 116 will be fine assuming that ramp rate isn't something crazy.

Do not lower you compression or increase your displacement. Save $100 and get the stock LS6 intake. EGR must appear functional, but does not need to function. Use your imagination here. Can't believe how many EGR LS6 intakes are sold.

Use some '01 exhuast manifolds and port match to your heads if you feel so inclined. PP heads are a good idea. The smog tech will not know what IC configuration is suppose to be on there. Use whatever you want but remember the rule that it needs to appear OEM. PM if specific detail is needed as I prefer not to incriminate myself on a public forum.

Dont be scared to give it a shot. Worse case is that it fails and you swap a cam. BFD. Its not like Arnie is going to confiscate your car.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks. Again, everything I would put on the car will stay on for smog, thats the whole point. So cam will be small, or stock to keep my gas mileage. I'm just looking ay my options. Looking into doing an STS or custom rear-mount kit because since it's semi-CARB legal. Also, Carsound cats are CARB approved so I think they can be used to replace the stock cats, or maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Here are some. With a bit of work you can really tuck/hide the STS kit pretty well. If I ever have the time and desire I know I can improve upon what I have done so far.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/488599-my-custom-sts-exhaust-version-1-a.html

You could even do a sweet center exhaust since you have a camaro.

If you have any questions just let me know. If you are ever going to make it down to a Milpitas GTG let me know and I will try to make it, so you can see everything in person, and shoot the shizzle about the setup, take a ride, etc....
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

That looks great Heath! Instead of doing the dual exhaust I was thinking of just dumping the passenger side so there are no visible exhaust tips. I have the RS body kit so that adds 2.5" on the bottom of the rear bumper to help hide things. What size turbo are you using and how do you like it?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

that would work very well.

with the ground effects I think you could hide things very well.

I have the 67 with the .81 housing.

I like it. I have not even fully finished dialing in the car but at 7lbs it feels every bit as strong if not stronger than my ATI did at 10psi.

I really have zero complaints. Now I did modify the kit to gain ground clearance vs a stock STS kit, added a FMIC, and built my exhaust to get the sound where I want it but all of that stuff was not hard to do and made the kit the way I wanted it.

My gas mileage is good, I have zero cooling issues as the stock system is in place, no header leaks/ticks/ etc.... I can make the exhaust as loud or quiet as I want with my muffler configuration, no ground clearance problems ( I do have to be careful but driving the car like you should drive a lowered car, no issues), very cool turbo sounds, have a great time popping the blowoff valve next to Supras, WRX's, Neons, etc... and see their faces, and the car gets up and goes. Oh and dont forget rolling into a random smog station and having zero issues.

Is it the quickest car on the street? NO. Would a front mount outperform it? Yes.
If I didn't live in California would I have an STS. No.

But living in California all the pluses the system gives me far outweigh any power benefit a front mount or blower setup would.

If I were you, I would do a budget forged 346, a nice custom turbo cam and the STS with the 67 or perhaps the 70 and run 10-12psi and enjoy the heck out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA Smog Legal Forced Induction