Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Header installation experts 2002 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Header installation experts 2002 WS6

OK, so going to tackle some Pacesetter LTs this weekend. Been using the search and FAQ on what to expect and I'm fairly comfortable with that. Got the general idea of what tools I'll need, but was curious if any 01/02 WS6 owners had any unique tips/issues with their header install.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Everything went as the guides say, just keep fighing witht the driver's side, it will fit
Good luck
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

make sure to take breaks if you get frustrated. and a 10mm ratchet wrench is your best friend.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

you need to know that every car is different.... for your first install
advise is to make sure to take coil packs off, snip plastic weatherstripping tabs under the cowl, take out all your plugs, safely get the car as high in the air as possible, and pace yourself, take breaks, don't get frustrated... it will all we worth it in the end
Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will have to remove the steering linkage most likely it will help. also you will need an oil filter and 5 quarts of oil bc you are going to need to change the oil after the install, bc you have to take off the oil filter to put the headers in. also you might need some heat wrap for the wires that the headers may be sitting o. also you will need to change the plugs, get new header gaskets. and when you take the manifold bolts out let them soak in wd-40 throughout the install. when you go to put them back in make sure and put anti seize on them. after bout 500 miles with the headers on tighten all the headers bolts again. and that is bout all i can think of off the top of my head but i think i covered everything.

B.J.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
you will have to remove the steering linkage most likely it will help. also you will need an oil filter and 5 quarts of oil bc you are going to need to change the oil after the install, bc you have to take off the oil filter to put the headers in. also you might need some heat wrap for the wires that the headers may be sitting o. also you will need to change the plugs, get new header gaskets. and when you take the manifold bolts out let them soak in wd-40 throughout the install. when you go to put them back in make sure and put anti seize on them. after bout 500 miles with the headers on tighten all the headers bolts again. and that is bout all i can think of off the top of my head but i think i covered everything.

B.J.
that's what i'm talking about!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Don't forget to remove the rear O2 sensors

Header installation isn't so bad. Me and a friend of mine did my car in six hours, taking our time (and drinking beer).
Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

I think header studs would have shaved hours and lots of frustration off of my install. When I go H/C, header studs are a for sure thing. Getting those bolts in can be a huge PITA, studs would remedy that all together, other than that, it's easy. You can install new plugs before you install the new headers.

It's a very satisfying install.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 2001 WS6, which is identical in setup to yours. I didn't have to remove the steering linkage or anything. The pacesetters went in beautifully. You'll do fine, just dont keep small children around or you'll want to hit them taking off that last passenger side plug =p
Old 11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

i put a set of pacesetters on a guys car and we didn't have any fitment issues,they slid right in.even left the plugs in but it would be a very good idea to remove them,especially if you are doing it alone.taking the coil packs off is a great idea also,makes it much easier.when i put the coil packs back on i just use the first 2 or 3 bolts so i don't have to mess with the ones in the back.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought but while your in there and got it apart this would be a good time to put in some poly engine mounts. That's when I did mine and I'm glad I did.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-take off coil packs and spark plugs/wires
-use a lot of wd40 on the cat/exhaust flanges
-if the driver side doesnt go in easy remove the steering linkage, two bolts, one on the top one on the bottom
-you should get new bolts with the pacesetters, make sure to use anti-sieze
-on the installs I did I had to use 1 foot worth of wood on the jack to get the car high enough to put in the passenger side, be safe!!

thats all i can think of, take your time!!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah dont use the paper gaskets that come with the pacesetters!!i used new gm gaskets from the dealer. also make sure to thread the header bolts in by hand first, they should thread in pretty easily.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with the alternator also. It doesn't take much to pull that little power wire out of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the info guys...another reason why i love this site! one final question. i know that i have to jack the car up considerably. i was thinking on using two jack stands on the rear (one on each side), and then using a 5 ton with some 4x4 pieces on the front center. anyohne tried this or have better alternatives?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

I put the jack on top of some 2x8's in a way that the jack coudn't fall off, used jack stands to support the front incase the jack failed, and had the back tires on rhino ramps. I'd be hesitant to jack the car up with anything between the point where the jack contacts the car.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 11-02-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

It would be safer to buy two more jack stands. I wouldn't do it unless I had all four if I were you. I know two people that have had a car fall on them. I'm very careful.