Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 ECM Tuneable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 ECM Tuneable?

Is the ECM in a 2000 and up LQ9 as tuneable as one from an LS1? I have done a search but not much comes up about it. Should an LS1 ECM be used, instead, and if so, will it plug into the harness? I have also seen mentioned a PCM, is this the same thing as an ECM, or a seperate thing?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The term PCM and ECM are used like they are interchangeable around here, and they prettymuch are. Technically all the LS1/LS6 engines use a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) but a lot of people still say ECM (Engine Control Module). Some of the newer GM cars (IE pontiac solstice) are now using ECM`s, they have seperate controllers for the engine and trans and another network for them to interface on.

As for the tuning question use whatever computer goes with your wiring harness. The 1999 and newer computers are all equally tuneable no matter waht car they were used in. The 97/98 computers are the ones that do not have as much support, but those were only used in f-bodies and vettes.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to have access to the PCM to tune it? I would like to hide it, if possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, you do not need access to the PCM to tune it, all the tuning is done through the DLC port (the data link connector under the dash). If you are taking the car somewhere to get it tuned they will just plug in to the connector ad do it from there. If you get the PCM mail order tuned then you will have to remove the PCM and send it.

Quick Reply: LQ9 ECM Tuneable?