General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas guage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas guage

Ok, maybe it's just me, but do the gas guages in GM cars(like my 98 T/A) seem a little screwy? Like, when I parked my car at walmart, it was a little below 3/4, when I started it back up, it was over 3/4. Also, sometimes when is hift into or out of park, it'll move quite a bit. Also, does anyone else notice the needle moves faster after it goes below 3/4 of a tank or is that just me?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same thing happen to me in my 2002 z28
..youre not the only one, its normal for F bodies... nothing wrong with , every f bodie ive had its happened to it
Old 11-02-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
Ok, maybe it's just me, but do the gas guages in GM cars(like my 98 T/A) seem a little screwy? Like, when I parked my car at walmart, it was a little below 3/4, when I started it back up, it was over 3/4. Also, sometimes when is hift into or out of park, it'll move quite a bit.
My car does the same thing.

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
Also, does anyone else notice the needle moves faster after it goes below 3/4 of a tank or is that just me?
The main reason for this, is that the gas tank is sort of shaped like a 'V'. The gauge just takes the depth of gas in the tank. As gas gets lower down in the tank, it's used faster than at the top of the tank due to the smaller volume. Thus gas is used quicker. The half way mark is actually only 1/3 full.