General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

idle dips big time..threw a belt a week ago too..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle dips big time..threw a belt a week ago too..

last thursday, i was getting home and i turned into my apartments. my power steering went out and the lights dimmed..my guess, i threw a belt. well i did. I replaced the idler pulley and the belt since the belt was eaten up. well i thought it was just when my maf was plugged in( i normally run in sd) that my idle dips. well it started happening in SD too. My thoughts are that its 1 of or all of 3 things. my belt tensioner, alternator and my tps sensor. It happens when im driving and then let off the gas and take it out of gear to come to a stop, it dips low. i also noticed that my idle was fluctuating a while back and thats when i started to pay even more attention to it, then it just got worse any ideas what it could be?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it have an strange smells?, is it chewing up anymore belts?.....i higly doubt its your tps sensor....the belt tensioner will not effect an idle but it will enhance a bad idles symptoms on the belt, if the tensioner is going bad....for the idle problem, id say its either a unmetered air issue...or a tune problem with the sd....this will result in a flucuation in the idle...and just not a standing idle problem....
Old 11-02-2006, 01:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SD tunes just don't go "bad" though. Very strange however. Sensors can be replaced fairly easily. If that doesnt work you can always take it back and not be out of money.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
SD tunes just don't go "bad" though. Very strange however. Sensors can be replaced fairly easily. If that doesnt work you can always take it back and not be out of money.
most auto part stores wont take back electrical parts after they have been used, unless you know the guy or its some kid. but then they cant look sh?t up anyway. have your alternator checked also, along with the battery. it might be one or the other or both.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Just say it didnt fit. Customer is always right. Not like your lying if you take it back and say that it didnt work out.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that wouldnt work with me, i worked for chev dealers for 20yrs. i wasnt a jerk about it but if it was all boogerd you were screwed.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I have returned all kinds of stuff to auto parts stores including sensors. I have also worked at a performance shop too, and it does amaze me that people try and bring stuff back in that looks like it was dropped in a furnace and then drug behind their truck all the way there.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you cleaned your IAC valve...?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

yes. i pulled the tb apart and cleaned everything. it was happening with my maf plugged in only, but spread to sd. that leads me to think its something else. its just a matter of figuring it out. i also had the alt and battery checked today and they're fine. i did think IACs and i have not logged them, but i will just to double check. any other suggestions?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

ive been thinking more and more, trying to figure out what the deal is. well im thinking that it could possibly be my oil pump. when the car is cold, it doesnt do it. the oil pressure is higher at that point. when it warms up and the oil pressure drops, thats when it starts. make sense to anyone else?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
LS1.COM SUPER MODERATOR
That's the first problem

As for the car. Check all the pullies and make sure they spin freely, including the waterpump & altenator.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

funny... after i replaced the idler pulley and belt, i watched everything. they seem to spin freely. no seizing or anything. Ive pulled the tb, lid, bellow, and maf and made sure it was sealed correctly. im running in sd, so the maf isnt the issue right now. Any other ideas?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

An idler pulley isn't going to chew up your belt b/c it doesn't have any ridges to contain the belt. My guess is that your crank pulley isn't seated all the way, which may or may not be your main problem right now, but it is a problem. As for the idle dipping or dying, have someone ride with you when it does it and see what your IAC/MAP values are when this occurs.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

ive considered it being the crank pulley. ive thought of throwing the stock one back on there to see if it helped or not. I did retorque it though. I know the idler pulley doesnt have ribs on it. that was my point. on the back edge, it had a rough jagged edge. I dont know how that happened. Ive checked the map readings in a log and saw it stayed where it normally does. IAC counts match for the most part. nothing too drastically off.