Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire new style altenator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to wire new style altenator?

I am installing a LS1 in a 71 Nova and was wondering how to convert the stock wire harness for the old style altenator to plug in to the new altenator.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I did for my 71 Chevelle (I have a 71 Nova also).. was just discard the old regulator and wires. I let the PCM activated the Alternator (depending on what year and PCM you have), Term B on the Alternate to the PCM. I ran a wire from the Horn relay to the post on the Alternator.

I have not wired up the Dash idiot light yet.. but will use a Volt Gauge anyway.. but If anyone has a simple way to get the old light working. Let me know..

But its that simple.

Keep us posted !
Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have mentioned that I am not running a PCM, it is carbureted.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Caged Check thread #13 in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. It has a link about wiring the alt up.

Bczee if you want the old idiot light to work you need to make the idiot light control the alt instead of the PCM. I am not sure if you need to delete any codes, but as far as wiring the idiot light should already be hooked up so that one side goes to a switched IGN source and the other side used to go to your alt. The side that used to be connected to your old alt needs to be connected to terminal B on your new alt and the computer needs to be disconnected. There might be more info in the linked thread.

Last edited by G-Body; 11-02-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your alternator has one wire setup, it's internally regulated, you just need to run that single wire from alt to battery and it's good to go. Just remove the stock regulator and be sure to tie your (stock) hot lines together (be sure to figure out what is what though)

On mine, I did similar to bczee but simplified. Basically, I had a wire going from alternator to the regulator. I had another wire going from the battery to a bulkhead on my inner fender, then to the regulator. There was a hot lead from the regulator to back to the the firewall as well. Tied my hot leads together. Used LS1 single wire from alternator to the battery.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shifty.. that is basically what I (we) did.. the Horn relay or that part of the harness is where all of the original hot lead conect together anyway (Battery, hot to the fuse box, etc).

I just ripped out the old Regulator and it's wires.. On the LS1 Harness from PCM to Terminal B is used. I then took apart the old harness and found were the original Hot Alternator wire connected and replaced the old wire with a new one just to be safe..

G-Body.. like I said.. Not having the idiot light is not a big deal.. Voltage gauge will be all I need. But if there was a simple way to make the ligh work.. thanks.

Quick Reply: How to wire new style altenator?