Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this fuel system pass tech?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will this fuel system pass tech?

I am working on building the fuel system for my '71 Chevelle. I saw this picture of a car at SEMA. Is it legal to have the regulator mounted on the firewall like this? I didn't think it was. Input please.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By NHRA rules the brake lines and fuel lines cannot be mounted to the firewall.

225-343-9029
Old 11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules

IHRA rules say,

" Whenever possible, Fuel tanks and fuel lines should be located in ahead of the engine. Fuel blocks, if used, must be mounted at least 6'' forward of the flywheel bellhousing area. NO PART OF THE FUEL SYSTEM MAY BE MOUNTED ON THE FIREWALL OR OUTSIDE FRAME RAILS, EXCEPT ON STEEL BODIED CARS, fuel pressure regulater may be mounted on inner fenderwell only and at least 66' forward of the firewall"

Take it how you will, thats what the book states
Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just like what madman said. You can make a bracket and mount it on the intake if you wanted.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
hashtagBMW

O ****.

Mines on the wall, i need to move it.

Tony.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I thought. I just wanted to double check before I do my fuel system.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Glad I seen this. Because I had thought about putting mine on my HVAC delete plate. But, I can see where the safety issues are after thinking about it.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

What about for a fuel enrichment setup? (for us nitrous guys)
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by BackwoodsMotorsports
IHRA rules say,

" Whenever possible, Fuel tanks and fuel lines should be located in ahead of the engine. Fuel blocks, if used, must be mounted at least 6'' forward of the flywheel bellhousing area. NO PART OF THE FUEL SYSTEM MAY BE MOUNTED ON THE FIREWALL OR OUTSIDE FRAME RAILS, EXCEPT ON STEEL BODIED CARS, fuel pressure regulater may be mounted on inner fenderwell only and at least 66' forward of the firewall"

Take it how you will, thats what the book states

Never understood that, don't know why you would want to have the fuel system and tank in front of the engine.

Rear end slides out and you hit the wall head on with the tank and system being right there. Yeah I am sure you would have roll bar around it but still... that idea just scares me....
Old 11-08-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Never understood that, don't know why you would want to have the fuel system and tank in front of the engine.

Rear end slides out and you hit the wall head on with the tank and system being right there. Yeah I am sure you would have roll bar around it but still... that idea just scares me....
Agreed completely. First you have the tank hanging out there in the event you hit the wall in the front (which is more likely than backing it into the wall) and another thing is leaving the gas cap off... If you accidently leave it off in the back not a huge deal but I forgot to put mine back on a few weeks ago and gas covered my windshield when the front end sat down and it got under the tires so I took a sharp turn towards the wall. If anything I'd prefer it in the back. Also if you're not on alcohol the car gets hot quick with the tank in front of the radiator. I'm sure they have a reason for wanting it that way though so we're overlooking something... Maybe they want it up there to avoid running fuel lines the entire length of the car, that way they're localized to the front.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
JUICED96Z

Maybe MADMAN will chime in on it.

I do agree and see your point with the fuel lines runing the lengh of the car.

I would rather risk that then hitting the wall with the tank in front of me.

Granted you put roll bar around it but still.

Engine is hot, hit the wall, cell ruptures, fumes ignite...
Tank is in the back, cell ruptures for whatever reason in a crash, hot engine is in the front, fuel is in the back.

Lots of guys have been doing it for a while and have been ok in a crash, it is something that would just be a distraction in the back of my mind....

Quick Reply: Will this fuel system pass tech?