General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EMERGENCY: Coolant change

Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EMERGENCY: Coolant change

Hi, in the middle of changing my coolant and i need help. I am following the installuniversity instructions. I Drained it using the drain **** on passenger side. I gave the thermostat hose a few squeezes which caused more fluid to drain out the drain ****(was that a mistake?). I then took off the thermostat hose to get fluid out too.

Then I closed everything back up and took off the hose that goes from the throttle body to the metal line on the driver side. I began to slowly pour 50/50 mix of dexcool and water until fluid came out the hose. But this happened after I had poured just 2 quarts in, not the 4 like it says in the instructions(there car is a 99, mine is 02, is there a difference?).

I then ran the engine but the coolant just came to the top of the radiator and there were bubbles coming up.

What should I do?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

i dont know what way you did that, but the way i drain coolant is

unplug all hoses going to the engine, and radiator. clean hoses as coolant is coming out.
once radiator is drained, unplug the block drain hole. let it drip out there. get the water hose and turn on and let the hose pressure spray out the radiator as its still open from the bottom hose. then re hose everything, plug the block hole up, and refill radiator until at the top. make sure its completely full, because air bubbles will cause it to rise then fall. then start the engine and keep refilling radiator when thermostat opens.

thats with any car ^.

you should've just filled it through the radiator.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Launching!

From what I've been told if you want to get the most out you can by yourself without an machine is that you need to do it when it's hot so the thermostat is open. So let you car get hot and take the hose off that connects to the bottom of the block and then unplugged the drain ****. Is this good or bad? I plan on doing mine someday this week.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The air bubbles just means the sytem has air and the air is escaping from the engine which is good, once you have no more air bubbles, you have no more air in the engine and just top it off as needed.

And just put 50/50 as long as you took out as much of the old coolant you could, should be alright.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

when i replaced the water pump in the car, i remember having to let the car come up to temp, with the cap off (till the thermo opens) to get all the air out of the system, then just shutting the car down and once it cools, topping off the system, and everything was fine after that.

Search this Thread