Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install time

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Header Install time

On average, how long did it take to install your headers from start to finish? Just curious to see if I took way too long to do it. It took me about 4 1/2 hours.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

you made great timing
Old 11-04-2006, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a friend of mine did two header installs in 12 hours taking our time. That includes duals on one car and removing egr and air on both.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i **** u not it took me and a buddy (Both of us was 18 at the time) 3 hours 15 minutes to take my full stock exhuast off (from manifolds to the stock tips came off) and put the headers (pacesetters) on, bolted up the Y, and put on my LM on with no breaks....3 hours and 15 minutes of straight work will no screwing off...we had 0 probs though that helped things go real smooth...we also had the car no more than 2 foot in the air on ramps
Old 11-04-2006, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

It takes me a little under 2 hours to do a jet hot header and y pipe install.....that is removing the manifolds AIR and installing the new headers and y pipe. Doesn't take much longer to go a full exhaust either.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

how the **** do yall do that **** so fast? im gonna be putting LT's on mine myself (i hope) and I HOPE to be done in 6 hours
Old 11-04-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

took me and my friend a about 8 hours to put my slps on, well the driver side took about a half hour the rest was spent on he passenger side.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I did my first header install in my garage on my back with hand tools....it took me a little over 2 hours to get the manifolds off and put the headers and y pipe on.....now I use a lift and air tools
Old 11-04-2006, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Took me and a couple of buddies about 6.5 hours to do. Ran into a problem with drivers side. Was trying every approach, finally undid the motor mount and jacked it up and it slid right in. If we would have known, it probably would have been done in like 4.5 hours. This was on jackstands in a garage. Getting the Y-pipe far enough onto the collectors took a bit of pounding too so it was on far enough.

That was our first time. First time is ALWAYS the slowest as you learn the proper techniques for next time.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

2 hours? Thats quick. I kept my air and egr. I had trouble with the driver side, I just ended up beating the floorboard instead of jackin the motor up. 2 hours....thats fast
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I will never know how long it will take me. I will probably get flamed for this but who cares. Im having the performance shop down the street install mine on tuesday. The reason being is I have tried to do simple jobs by myself before and ended up wasting my time and f'ing something up and having to pay someone to do it for me. So I will skip all that and just pay someone else to do it that way if something gets messed up I can always take it back to them to fix. Oh by the way Im installing Pacesetters long tubes, ORY, and Magnaflow catback. Hope it sounds good.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by D_Rock
I guess I will never know how long it will take me. I will probably get flamed for this but who cares. Im having the performance shop down the street install mine on tuesday. The reason being is I have tried to do simple jobs by myself before and ended up wasting my time and f'ing something up and having to pay someone to do it for me. So I will skip all that and just pay someone else to do it that way if something gets messed up I can always take it back to them to fix. Oh by the way Im installing Pacesetters long tubes, ORY, and Magnaflow catback. Hope it sounds good.
good thing is that you know your limitations and that you will not be screwing anything up along the way. in the long run, you will spend less $$.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
2 hours? Thats quick. I kept my air and egr. I had trouble with the driver side, I just ended up beating the floorboard instead of jackin the motor up. 2 hours....thats fast
My driverside went right in....just pulled the oil filter and in it went, I even left the spark plugs in.....my passenger side gave me a little trouble. of coarse I was being lazy and didn't pull the plugs at first....it wouldn't go so I pulled #6 and #8 plugs and it went right in.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by D_Rock
does the pacesetters still come with the paper gaskets ? if so i'd have them reuse your stockers.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:32 AM

Headers, LS6 intake manifold, remove Air & EGR, and had lunch, waited for a friend to go to sears and get a bolt out kit for the rear manifold bolt. = 6 hours.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow trap
does the pacesetters still come with the paper gaskets ? if so i'd have them reuse your stockers.
i got mine last week. they come with copper gaskets now . the only thing is i didnt check until i had fully installed them with brand new oem ones. oh well, they dont leak.