LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake manifold gasket/ port alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake manifold gasket/ port alignment

I was wondering what kind of intake manifold gaskets people have been having good results with. I have used the fel pro gasket the last two times I have had the intake off, and am not to happy with it. It doesnt seem to line up with the ports, and I cant seem to get a good seal on the bottom of the head above the lifter valley. I can see that oil is getting past the gaskets and into the ports.

Also what kind of trick can be used to check the port alignment of the intake manifold and head ports. My heads are going to be getting decked for the 2nd time. I have read that the ports dont even line up very well stock, and that decking the heads makes it worse.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No one had this problem? If you have had your heads decked more than once you have to have some sort of port alignment issues, if you know about it or not.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you take off the heads? If worse comes to worse your going to have to get the intake to match your heads???
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you need to cut the intake where it meets the block. I'm going to guess that it is also hard to get all of the intake bolts started?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I Port-matched mine, and ckecked them, and they line up. I had my Heads milled, and using Felpro Gaskets.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right, I understand that. I have had .015 taken off, but the heads had been off before I owned the car so im not sure exactly how much has been removed.

Even if I have .015 taken off of the intake I still dont see how to check to see if the ports line up.

Is there any better options for an intake gasket besides the felpro. The felpro gasket is extremly thick. I thinner gasker might make .010+ difference.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the intake gaskets were too thick I really doubt that you would have oil leaking underneath them. From what you are describing I would think that the intake is bottoming out against the block before the intake gaskets can be compressed.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be, im gonna have the motor out this weekend so I can mock everything up on an engine stand, and see what i have to work with. I always use silicone to seal the manifold to the block on the front and the back, and from the amount of silicone that was left on top of the block it looks like there is clearance.

I guess the question that I still have is how do you make sure the ports are aligned. My intake bolts dont have a problem going in. Even with the bolts going straight in, the ports can have a slight mis alignment. Im trying to squeek every little hp out of the car, so I dont want to over look anything.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. My heads were decked and the intake was not. When I took the manifold off there was oil in the intake ports. How do I correct this problem?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fel-pro gasket for every thing.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the felpro gaskets. Ill check the alignment of the intake before I do the gaskets and see how it looks. I had a hard time getting the bolts started too.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bolt holes

if your heads were milled, perhaps you could open up the intake bolt holes a little so that the intake sits well on the heads when bolted down.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by foggedz
It could be, im gonna have the motor out this weekend so I can mock everything up on an engine stand, and see what i have to work with. I always use silicone to seal the manifold to the block on the front and the back, and from the amount of silicone that was left on top of the block it looks like there is clearance.

I guess the question that I still have is how do you make sure the ports are aligned. My intake bolts dont have a problem going in. Even with the bolts going straight in, the ports can have a slight mis alignment. Im trying to squeek every little hp out of the car, so I dont want to over look anything.
I use blue dykem spotting ink, die makers use it for 'blueing' up sheet metal stamping dies when hand working them in, to help get a part to fit a gauge. It shows what areas are hitting and what isn't touching. Put a thin film on your gaskets and mock assemble your intake. When u take it off you will be able to see an exact outline of how your ports match.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold gasket/ port alignment