LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can't decide which way to go

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can't decide which way to go

Hi everyone, first off I just want to thank you guys for posting what you have done with your cars (zmydust and matt) its helped me with my car tremendously. I have a 1995 50xxx mile hardtop a4 z28 with a converter (vigi 3200), gears (3.73s), lt headers (hookers) and slicks (mt street radials) that has a best run of 12.8 at 104 at which time the posi broke so i was all done for the summer. Getting back to the reasion for why I have posted, over the winter im either going to cam only on the lt1 (cc503) or do a heads/cam on my stock shortblock, im torn because i want to keep the car streetable. I like driving the car to the track (hour and a half each way) and plus its another 2k to get the ported heads. What would you guys do? shoot for low/mid 12s with the cam or attempt high 11s with the heads? tha car is not my only means of transportation so thats not a concern I would be more concerned about putting out 400rwhp and the reliability of said stock components ie. bottom end , trans. I know this is a pretty basic fork in the road point but for some reason im struggling with it. I welcome all opinions, thanks. jason
Old 11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely do the head and cam together if your shooting for the 400's. I'm not sure about how your bottom end will hold up but, it seems like alot of guys are doing alright in that area. I have no experience really with my little numbers at this point.

elliot portworks LE1 package or LE2 package would put you right around 400hp

Also, there's Advanced Induction whos got a couple packages for head and cam stuff..
Old 11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Launching!

2K for stock ported heads????
I serioulsy hope you mean like a ported aftermarket head.
I'll agree with the above statment. If your going to to throw out 2k for just heads, why not buy the LE3 setup for like $1800, with an awsome set of heads and a better camshaft than a off the shelf comp grind, and have a bad *** motor.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

with bigger valves, new stiff springs, new retainers, guides, keepers, pins, rockers (i think). thats also with a cam and your intake ported.

thats the LE packages.

Originally Posted by Formula_LT1
2K for stock ported heads????
I serioulsy hope you mean like a ported aftermarket head.
I'll agree with the above statment. If your going to to throw out 2k for just heads, why not buy the LE3 setup for like $1800, with an awsome set of heads and a better camshaft than a off the shelf comp grind, and have a bad *** motor.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the responses guys, the 2k that I figured for heads were ported stock heads, the added cost of bigger injectors, head gaskets and arp bolts. On paper it worked out to 2k more over just a cam swap using an AI 200cc kit.

Quick Reply: Can't decide which way to go