General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dex-Cool Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dex-Cool Question

I recently drained, flushed and refilled the coolant in my car. I used the following procedure below:

- drain radiator
- fill with water
- run car until thermostat would open and water would circulate

I repeated this until straight water would only come out. I then refilled the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of Dex-Cool and distilled water. The radiator took about 1 gallon of each. Today I realized that I forgot about all of the water that is left in the block and the mixture isn't any where near 50/50. With winter around the corner, do you think 1 gallon of Dex-Cool is enough or should I add some more? Also, the car now seems to warm up a lot faster then it use to. Is this caused by having the incorrect mixture of Dex-Cool and water or is it all in my head?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shallow Bay; 11-05-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah, water should actually cool better than a 50.50 mix, only problem is water freezes and boils, antifreeze stops this, dont know how much you should put in there though...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You might still have some pockets in your cooling system. Check the level, make sure you don't need to add more. Unless you sat there with the radiator open and let the thermostat open a couple of times it probably still needs a little more.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

They make coolant testers that can tell you the freezing point of your coolant. I think there pretty cheap.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you're in MN, one can presume you need a 50/50 mix on final. Plus, you need to remove any non-distilled from your system. Dexcool hates non-distilled water.

I would redo your flush with the exception of using distilled water for the flush. Then, remove enough water to put in straight Dexcool at 1/2 total system volume. Top off with distilled water.

As you are working the air out of your system, top off with 50/50 mix. This should minimize non-distilled water and give you a 50/50 Dexcool/water mix.

Add 50/50 mix to your overflow bottle to bring it above normal level. It will help getting the bubbles out and won't run dry while you're doing it. It can take up to 100 miles of driving to get out all the air pockets.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

It looks like I will be doing another complete drain, flush and refill this weekend. Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
It looks like I will be doing another complete drain, flush and refill this weekend. Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it.

Use the prestone premixed dex-cool. There is no mixing or anything just fill and done. I used this just a few months ago and it runs perfect.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

What's the correct way to add coolant to the radiator?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put in the through the cap next to the air lid. Just do it slow. Add 1 gallon close cap let it run for a bit let it cool down and then check. Add more if needed.

Did you get the pre mixed dex-cool?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

On a cold car, the coolant level should be at the base of the filler neck on the radiator correct? I did a complete drain, flush and refill last weekend and after a couple of warming up/cooling down cycles, that's where the coolant level was at. I checked after every cycle and there were no leaks. Tonight while I was jacking the car up, I noticed there was a puddle of coolant on the ground. I get under the car and notice the entire bottom of the water pump is full of coolant. I looked but everywhere else was dry. So at this point, I'm thinking a water pump install is in my near future. I then opened the radiator cap and a bunch of coolant spilled out. After cleaning everything up, I started the car with the cap off and let it run for 15 minutes. It did not leak at all and now I have no idea what the hell is going on. The only thing I could think of is that there were some air pockets still in the system. I still don't get why it was leaking from the water pump.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

why does the LS1 like distilled water? less impuraties? what are the chances of a GM dealer using distilled water after or during a coolant flush? Mine has the coolant sensor light on (i think its a gummed up sensor, havent checked yet) so I will have to probably get the system flushed again next summer. But this was after the system was flushed at the start of last summer
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Distilled water makes Dexcool happy, regardless of the engine it is in.

Dexcool longevity requires an approximate 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Store-bought 50/50 mix often contains deionized water.

The important idea is the removal of minerals that are found in tap water.

I would have no guess as to how your dealer may have performed your flush/fill. But your coolant light may be due to the system bubbles coming out and the system needing to be topped off. I would use a 50/50 mix of name brand coolant of your preferred color/type.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a tip, put the front end on ramps. This helps get air pockets out of the system

Quick Reply: Dex-Cool Question