Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump bad or what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump bad or what?

I did a search and couldn't find a lot, then the search stopped working for me....

So I was at my girlfriends, about an hour away from home, and I started up the car to warm it up for a few minutes while I smoked before I left. The car clicked and almost died, then came back to life. It ran fine until I was half an hour away doing 70 on the interstate. In 6th gear it started rattling horribly, downshifted to 5th and it was fine but started to lose power and slow down. So I pull over and pop the hood, as soon as I got out the car died and wouldn't start back up. I knew I was low on fuel (fuel gauge doesn't work) so I had my g/f bring me some gas but that didn't start the car either. and I didn't hear the pump kick on. Plus I didn't see any fuel coming out of the rails when I pushed the valve in. The fuse is fine and I swapped the relay with the A/C (had the same part numbers on it) and still nothing. My guess is that it's either the pump, the PCM, or it's clogged from running out of fuel?

When I get time I'm going to start by checking for current flowing to the pump. If there isn't any I'm going to swap my PCM with my original one (I did a swap from A4 to M6, and when I swapped PCM's the fuel gauge didn't work with the new one) so I'm thinking it might have just went bad for the pump too? If that's not it I guess I'll get a new pump? This all sound good to you guys or do you have a better plan of attack for me?