Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post and some questions about 69 Camaro / lsx engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post and some questions about 69 Camaro / lsx engines

I just started learning about these engines in a 69 Camaro today. I just sold one of my Chevelles to finance the frame off on my Camaro. I searched and searched for what year and model of donor car the LS1, LS2, LS6 drivetrains come in and couldn't find it. I'm sure there's good donors and better donors parts wise. Can somebody give me a quick education?

I found this on ebay LS6 Caddy engine
Why isn't anybody bidding on this? I recognize the seller as someone that has a good reputation on this site. It seems like a fair price for a engine trans combo? Am I missing something here? Is it overpriced?

Are LS1,LS2,LS6 greatly different as far as modifying them for more horsepower? I eventually want to run a dual turbo setup. Is there one of these that is far superior if I was to run turbos on it?

I realize I could probably search for the next few days and figure all this out but the auction ends in 1 more day.......

Thanks, Lance

P.s. You'll see a lot more of me around here. I've pretty much decided that I'm going with some kind of LSx platform....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

The auction you listed seems to be a bit on the high end of LS1/Ls6 takeout prices however it does have under 10k miles. There is an LS6 in the for sale section on here with 33k miles for 3500 I believe that would be a pretty good deal. As far as LS1/LS2/LS6 goes the LS2 is the best of the three as the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement. As far as turbo applications go a 6.0 iron block truck engine would be the best option if you want to run more than 12 or so psi of boost unless you want to spend the $$$'s to sleeve an aluminum block. Good luck finding an engine and I hope I was helpful.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Not to be dis-agreeable but the engine in the classifieds here has no oil pan or accessories or transmission, clutch, computer, etc. Would those items justify the difference in price?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the price is just a little high, but not outrageous. Remember you will have to ship it to whever you are too. The CTS-V motor is the least common I think, and I am not sure how the pan and accessories compare to the F-Body and Corvettes. If you are looking for a motor to turbo, the 10.9 compression will be pretty high to start with. That motor has the electric throttle body (ETC) and I did not see any mention of the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) or gas pedal which you will need if you retain the ETC. Good luck with your project, be sure to read the stickys at the top of the page. Lots of good info there.

Pat
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

OKay so the CTS-V engine isn't the optimum. I did notice the compression ratio problem. So the F-body and Corvette engines are the prime candidates? What years are better than others. I seem to end up always buying a whole car and cannibalizing it for the drive train and all the other handy parts that are on the car that you always have to buy separate and drive you crazy. Yep I read the stuff at the top today at work
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Well there I am not sure if the CTS-V accessory drive would work in a camaro but the oil pan would have a chance at fitting. I didn't realize that LS6 was missing all that stuff and it will add up however if you buy used it could still be a pretty good deal. I picked up my longblock for $400 locally minus the intake however it has required a rebuilb. Even after a bigger cam and forged pistons buying the front drive accessories etc. I will still be well under the $5000 asking price for that cts-v engine. So good deals can be found you just gotta keep on searching especially in your local paper.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Don't rule out the GTO LS1/2. Everything except the oil pan bolted right in to
my 69 camaro. The only thing that wouldn't work was the factory A/C.
www.hotrodlane.cc offers an upper pass side bracket to mount a compressor
if you need a/c. FPARTS on EBAY always has engines complete.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can be patient, you may be able to find a complete car to cannibalize and strip. With the wet season coming on, the reality and sad news is people will wreck their cars. With the newest F-Body being 5 model years old now, it does not take much to total one. Keep watching the For Sale section, you might find what you want. Also for the turbo application you might want to look at the 6.0 truck and SUVs. As stated earlier, that gives you the iron block. Pretty much everything interchanges, you would have to make adjustments for the accessories, pan and possibly intake, but the lower initial price could balance it out.

Pat
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to go witht he aluminum block for now as I can find a car with a trans and engine and all the "stuff" to make it work. If I decide I need more horsepower later I can always swap out the shortblock for an iron one.

So for a LS1 I'm looking for a 1998-2002 Camaro or Corvette and for a LS2 it needs to be a 2005 or newer Corvette or GTO?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go with a 1999 up Camaro/Corvette LS1 as it is better than the 1997-1998 version. The early ones are good but just different. 2000 up is an even better choice.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Here is exactly what your looking for. Even has a install kit, and headers available for the 1st gen f-body http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...mZ260050457025
Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=553886&page=1
Old 12-17-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Hello I am doing a 2005 GTO LS2 swap into my 69 Camaro. This link will send you to my post on the problems I have encounter and some of the solutions I gotten from the guys. Hope it helps you. Feel free to email yor questions.
Good luck.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=553886&page=1
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

holy crap!! that ls6 sold for $6600!! damn, some people just have NO common sense these days.

Quick Reply: First post and some questions about 69 Camaro / lsx engines