General LSX Automobile Discussion - Re-fresh am engine???

View Full Version : Re-fresh am engine???

mannys_z28
11-06-2006, 11:14 PM
what does it mean to you. I heard this on another forum and was wondering what exactly it means to re-fresh an engine. I also heard rebuild kits, what is that all about..

BrandonDrecksage
11-07-2006, 12:43 AM
most people don't refresh an ls1 because they are looking for more power..ect. The price of a forged short block is next to nothing, but traditionally refreshing is changing all of the gaskets, checking all of the part for extreme wear and changing the psiton rings..ect.

y2k_ta
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
refreshing = rebuilding or visa versa...

It's like "soda" and "pop". It all depends on where you live on how you say it :)

bjamick
11-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I plan on getting a new set of rods and pistons, with new rings, with new head gaskets, header gaskets, intake gasket, also lifters. i plan on doing this if i make it to 150k miles. But i plan on getting a heads and cam package in january with my income tax :) so that will be new springs, pushrods, retainers, new oil pump just all the goodies. but iguess this is what refreshing means to me.

01Z28MN6
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
yeah tearing and engine down, checking for extreme wear. New gaskets, valves, springs, push rods. Just replacing everything that could wear out, so that the engine will last longer.

mannys_z28
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
so is this expensive and is it something one does at 100,000 miles. I heard the LS1 can easily run beyond that mark and not need any major maintenance???

'Trust'
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
most people don't refresh an ls1 because they are looking for more power..ect. The price of a forged short block is next to nothing, but traditionally refreshing is changing all of the gaskets, checking all of the part for extreme wear and changing the psiton rings..ect.

$2k isn't really next to nothing...

mannys_z28
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM

no shit, if that were the case, give me two grand to prove it. LOL

NHRAMAN
11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
so is this expensive and is it something one does at 100,000 miles. I heard the LS1 can easily run beyond that mark and not need any major maintenance???
LOT'S of people have wellll over 100,000 miles on their engines...all depends on what shape it's in...a good idea before doing that is a Compression Test..then go from there really. If compression is good in all 8 cylinders, I wouldn't tear into an engine for no reason.

'Trust'
11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I agree with NHRAMAN, I would add though, if compression seems good, go ahead and do a leak down aswell for added assurance, if thats good, no reason to strip it down.

mannys_z28
11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
true, my brother told me once that a compression gauge can tell alot of a motors age...

BrandonDrecksage
11-07-2006, 06:02 PM

if you compare that to a new crate engine from a dealer(7k), or a jasper remanu engine(4k) or jsut a ls1 off ebay(3-4k) its nothing. Price is relative. If you have to rebuild a engine, you might as well buy a forged short block, it'll save you money, time and be better all around performer...do you not agree with that?