General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Uneven Brake Pad Wear = Bent Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Brake Pad Wear = Bent Axle?

Hey guys,

So I have this rotational sqeaking that sounds like a bird chirp coming from my passenger side rear brake. So i change the pads and rotors all around because its been 4 years. Still does it. I take the pads off and put the stop squeak stuff on the back of the pads and grease my caliper pins. It stops for a while and now it is doing it just as bad again. When I took the pads off to apply the stop squeak to the back of them I noticed the pads were wearing very unevenly. They have grinded down spots on both sets of rear pads. They looked like they do in this picture on both sets of pads after only a week of driving.

Since it is doing it on both sets of pads in the same spot I assume that this is a bent axle that is wobbling as I drive. I figure that as it wobbles it causes the pads to grind down on each side causing the constant rotational chirping sound as I drive, even when the brakes arent applied. What do you guys think? Thanks for any insight!!

Picture below: (click for bigger size)

Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibility indeed. does it drive correctly though? a bent axle tends to make a car steer one way or another. also when youve been replacing your pads ahve you bewen turning the rotors?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

it seems to drive fine. I got new rotors with the pads so dont think that should be a problem.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have a viberation or shudder at any speed?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Launching!

jack up the car and support the rear, take off the rear tires and use three lugnuts to hold the rotor on. Put them on backwards and tighten them with a wrench. start the car and put it in drive it will be very obvious as it was to me that you will see if your axles are bent. i did this to find my little bird in the rearend. it sure enough was a bent axle causeing the inside pad to wear funny. good luck
Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

did you check the guide pins to make sure there not seized up? i have 26.k dial up so i didnt bother checkin picture
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
jack up the car and support the rear, take off the rear tires and use three lugnuts to hold the rotor on. Put them on backwards and tighten them with a wrench. start the car and put it in drive it will be very obvious as it was to me that you will see if your axles are bent. i did this to find my little bird in the rearend. it sure enough was a bent axle causeing the inside pad to wear funny. good luck
Exactly what I did to find my slightly bent axle.

Quick Reply: Uneven Brake Pad Wear = Bent Axle?