General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window Motor Replacement with Window Fully Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Window Motor Replacement with Window Fully Down

Pass side window lift motor on my 2002 Camaro SS failed with the window in the down position?!
This was an aftermarket motor that i installed maybe a year ago

Every procedure I read described the motor replacement with the window up..

Seems like there is less clearance to get the motor out, but aside from that, it shouldnt matter, should it?

Has anybody done this?
thanks in advance...
Scott
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I done it on a couple cars with the windows up, and as I remember you can move up from the down position by hand from inside the door. I think the mechanism "locks-out" so it can't fall down at the top, but in the lowered position I think it just rests on the bottom of it tracks. Worth a shot taking off the door panel and trying.
good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never tried replacing one with the window down, but seems like if you unbolt the motor you'd be able to just raise the window up manually and just clamp it there. Only thing I'd worry about is when the motor falls, need to hold it somehow so it doesn't hit the glass. Don't know if you can reach through the speaker cavity and hold it with one hand when you remove the last bolt or not? Are you using http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html - shoot him an email, he's always glad to help.