General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Well this P0410 code is Pissing me off!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Well this P0410 code is Pissing me off!!

HELP!! it reappears no matter how i clear it...

it Is for Secondary AIR injection System Malfunction. It saying Secondary, rules out the wires, pump itself, and fuse... I have checked the fuse myself..and pump is heard on cold startup. Code doesnt pop up until a while of driving after clearing it.

so it must be a check valve or tubing or the small gasket( i think its this).

I dont know which check valve it would be..... HELP THANKS!!

I have heard of a way of checking the check valves...that they are one way valves so I can blow/suck into them and if they allow air in both ways...they are bad...is this true? THANKS!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

bump because no forum has come up with an answer worthy of helpful...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The95Z
HELP!! it reappears no matter how i clear it...

it Is for Secondary AIR injection System Malfunction. It saying Secondary, rules out the wires, pump itself, and fuse... I have checked the fuse myself..and pump is heard on cold startup. Code doesnt pop up until a while of driving after clearing it.

so it must be a check valve or tubing or the small gasket( i think its this).

I dont know which check valve it would be..... HELP THANKS!!

I have heard of a way of checking the check valves...that they are one way valves so I can blow/suck into them and if they allow air in both ways...they are bad...is this true? THANKS!

That is the way to check these. They should only blow in one direction. Now my story: A week after I got my car we had a heavy rain here which flooded out most secondary roads. I had to go through deep water in order to get home. As a result, my SA pump was ruined by being submerged in water. After much research (including Google), I was told that to fix this would be a waste of money and time since it is so common because of the location of this pump. The advice that I got was to either place black electrical tape over the SES light (which I did 'cause of lack of funds) or else have this code permanently disabled by programming. I ended up placing black tape between the light socket and instrument face so the tape would not be seen. Now I can drive at night without being blinded by that orange SES light.

You will discover that most of the guys here have completely removed the SA system from their cars. As my funds increase, I will do the same since they are so troublesome. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

yeah...i suppose...i will check the check valves...if its not that, the fuse, the relay or the pump or gaskets...im gonna ignore it thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Have you checked to see if the pump is putting out volume. I have seen pumps come on but will produce no or very litte air volumn. just a thought. I would probably save for a program that eliminates it. It is only there for the cats to reach temps faster.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HELP!! it reappears no matter how i clear it...!
What year, make and model?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

2002 pontiac trans am ws6.

and i know what it does and what not...but i dont see why not keep it...i dont want to pay to delete code...and i too lazy to remove it lol...

i dont know how i would check the volume
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

If you are still running catalytic converters, you probably need to fix it ASAP so that you dont ruin the cats. If you plan on removing the cats, there is no need for the AIR system. Im not running cats and I removed the AIR system without a problem. It really clears up the engine bay!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2002 pontiac trans am ws6.

and i know what it does and what not...but i dont see why not keep it...i dont want to pay to delete code...and i too lazy to remove it lol...

i dont know how i would check the volume
Man, a p0410 can set for for any failure in the SAI system. If you can hear the pump, then at least the control circuit is working, that doesn't mean the pump is moving any air though. I have seen plenty of pumps that sound fine, but have no volume. it could also be a vacuum solenoid problem ,not diverting air to the check valves, it could be a vacuum line problem, a check valve problem, it could be lots of things. But don't worry too much, an inoperable SAI system will not damage your cats. I don't know where some people get that idea from.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

lol...i guess i can ignore it...if it doesnt do anything at all??

and well i disconected a hose on the driver side firewall connected to the air pump and there is pressure. And im going to check the check valves and hose with the blow method...and some q tips...

im replacing gaskets....lets see how this goes... dam my luck...lol

im gettting my cats gutted and some 02 sims on this week... as well
Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem and whe i took it to a tech he told me it looks like the pump was faulty. I need the AIR system cause of inspection purposes but i wasnt about to pay out for a new one due to lack of funds so i went on ebay and bought one for 40 bucks and the ses light went off and i never came back on again!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

hmmm just replaced gaskets and blew into both check valves, they seem to be good, would only suck and not blow. So thats good. relay and fuse is good, no tears in pump...everything connected. I can hear pump at cold startup. Has good vacumn...lets see how this goes...

Quick Reply: Well this P0410 code is Pissing me off!!