Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody esle with a larger cam on a stock tune have the SES light on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody esle with a larger cam on a stock tune have the SES light on?

Just wondering if this is to be expected with my setup, I've got a stock '02 LS1 in my WS6 with an F13 on the stock tune. Now the car runs just fine except for the typical low speed surging and difficulty idling when first started, bt I do have the SES light on constantly. I pulled the codes and I'm getting a multiple misfire code along with an EVAP small leak code. The EVAp i'm not too worried about because I may have something loose somewhere, but the misfire code is what throws me for a loop, is this too be expected with a larger cam and a stock tune or could this be a sign of another problem?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming this happened the moment after the install, I would say that it is normal for he SES light to come on with a 230's duration cam. I ran a 222/226 on a stock tune and got no light. You may have another problem taht just conveniently started at the same time. When does the misfire occur? WOT/idle?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Why dont you just have it tuned? Idle quality will greatly improve as will the surging/bucking, and you will probably put down at least 15+ more rwhp with the tune.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Well it's tough to say when it started really because I just got this new motor running recently. It's a stock '02 LS1 with a set of PRC Stg I's and the cam, NGK TR6's gapped to .045 and stock plug wires. Now the car runs just fine when driving around, solid at WOT, only hesitation you get it the usual (or so I'm told) mild bucking at low engine speeds. I guess till I get it tuned I really won't know for sure but, I thought maybe this was a known occurance with cammed cars on a stock tune.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, whenever you change the cam and keep the stock tune your SES light is gonna come on and stay on until you get the computer tuned for it. I would reccommend at least getting a mail order tune so the car will run better and probably pick up some HP.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the P0300 random misfire code is common with a lopey cam.

Typically, this code is "turned off" during the tuning process.

In the event of a real misfire...the last digit of the P030_ code will indicate which cylinder is having the problem. (ie: P0301-P0308).

The P0300 is a general code that means the PCM is detecting something wrong, but can't pinpoint what or where the problem may be.