Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Starter wires???

Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter wires???

On a 2000 C5, what are the wires on the starter. I know one is the ground on one post. There is the power from the batter on the other post, so what other wires are there.?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie c5
On a 2000 C5, what are the wires on the starter. I know one is the ground on one post. There is the power from the batter on the other post, so what other wires are there.?
There is no ground wire going to the starter. There is solenoid control and the main motor feed. Small purple wire goes to small post, and large red wire goes to heavy post. The motor grounds itself through the block.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

I got that, the small purple going to the small post, the ground heavy wire from the big post into the starter itself. And the large red wire going to the other big post, but I have two other small wires going to that same post... What are they for..?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got that, the small purple going to the small post, the ground heavy wire from the big post into the starter itself. And the large red wire going to the other big post, but I have two other small wires going to that same post... What are they for..?
They are just fusible links for charging/volatile memory. All the wires with large "eyelet" terminals go on the same post as the main battery cable. The only other wire is the small purple wire, and it goes on the small post by itself.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man. I appreciate your responce in this. Now can you help me with my stalling problem???? PM me if you can..
Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. I appreciate your responce in this. Now can you help me with my stalling problem???? PM me if you can..
LOL, What stalling problem? We were talking about starter circuits.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
They are just fusible links for charging/volatile memory. All the wires with large "eyelet" terminals go on the same post as the main battery cable. The only other wire is the small purple wire, and it goes on the small post by itself.
Volatile memory in a starter?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Volatile memory in a starter?
Fusible links that provide constant battery power to certain components, some of which contain volatile memory. the main post on the starter is simply a convenient place to pick up 12V instead of having 10 seperate wires going to the positive post on the battery. But you already knew that didn't you?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
Fusible links that provide constant battery power to certain components, some of which contain volatile memory. the main post on the starter is simply a convenient place to pick up 12V instead of having 10 seperate wires going to the positive post on the battery. But you already knew that didn't you?
This may be a surprise, but... I actually didn't know that. I appreciate the info!

Search this Thread