Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Slip

Hey guys I am in need of some input on your opinion about how long I can limp my clutch around before it dies. I just had my first major slip off the line, I was almost to shift range from 1st to 2nd and had my rpms spike tremedously I got out of the gas pulled it out of gear and coasted for a bit all the while feeling my clutch pedal and it was completely air no compression. After about an 1/8th mile I put it over in 4th and limped home, the clutch smelled like **** for about 10 miles and then cleared up. Pedal feels normal again and i've put another 100 or so miles on it since it happened with no slips but i haven't really gotten on it since it happened. It is the stock cluth with 50k miles on it. It's my everyday driver car and it's never seen a track I just hot rod around when i feel like it. No major work done to the car just exaust, maf sensor, airbox lid, and programmer. I graduate college in May and am hoping it'll make it till at least then so I have time to get a job and then go to work on my car. My second question is if it doesn't make it till then will it hurt anything if i get a SPEC stage 3 clutch installed? Cause i hate to get a normal clutch put it and then have to replace it in like 8 months when i start to do some real engine work on my car.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has slipped before and has always came back to normal.
The problem is in the Hydraulics The last few times I've been to the track the clutch slipped bad in 3rd and 4th gear. But on my way back to the pits it was normal again.
I wouldn't worry Mine has 112k on it and it still works great, your's should last you untill you replace it.
Oh and Get a Ram or a SPEC clutch as a replacement.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had the slip in 1st and 2nd gear, I'd feel it more than I could see it spike on the rpm/speedo.

Once 3rd gear got that feeling too, I upgraded to the LS7 clutch. My LS1 clutch had heat spots, but could have easilly done 100k more.