General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water in the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the gas?

My car was starting to run and dile rough below a quater of a tank of gas and gas lieage goes down hill. So i assumed a dirty tank was to blame and I replaced my fuel filter. It seems that my car has some water or some very stale gas in the tank. The owner before me stored it for long periods so it may just be stale gas. Does anyone know how I can get rid of that gas or water without having the tank flushed?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried over-the-counter water removers (Seafoam, drygas, fuel system cleaners, ect.)?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Add a couple bottles of water remover of choice and fill tank with good gas, Drive the car about 100 miles and fill tank again. Do no let the tank get below 3/4. Try to dilute the gas mixture best as possible. I have personally done this and it worked great. Performance will be down but it saves alot of headaches. After the car is back to normal change the fuel filter again.

Now if there is alot of gas/water mixture in the tank, I would remove the fuel filter and jump the fuel pump relay and pump it all out. DONOT let the pump run dry or it will burn up.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

I wasnt sure if seafoam would help or not. I'll try the suggestions thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
My car was starting to run and dile rough below a quater of a tank of gas and gas lieage goes down hill. So i assumed a dirty tank was to blame and I replaced my fuel filter. It seems that my car has some water or some very stale gas in the tank. The owner before me stored it for long periods so it may just be stale gas. Does anyone know how I can get rid of that gas or water without having the tank flushed?
you definately want to inspect the fuel lines,rail and injectors for rust.I wouldn't put any cleaners in there until its checked.If it sat for any length of time with 10% ethanol fuel in it<common for the past two years everywhere>the lines and rail are gonna be rusted.This will clog the injectors quick.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Try Seafoam, it worked for me. What I did was disconnected the lines from the back of the intake, then connected the fuel pump primer next to the PCM then let it rip all out. I had light water in mine before a racetronixs swap. Make sure you get most of it all out, because it will clog the injectors fast..
Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
you definately want to inspect the fuel lines,rail and injectors for rust.I wouldn't put any cleaners in there until its checked.If it sat for any length of time with 10% ethanol fuel in it<common for the past two years everywhere>the lines and rail are gonna be rusted.This will clog the injectors quick.
not bad advice.
i would seriously drain it. if you let the car sit then it would be different. but someone else owned it before you. who knows, he could have put gas in it from a dirty gas can, or got stuff in there other ways. i would drain that beast and and then seafoam it.