Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I'm rear mounting my 402, need help........

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm rear mounting my 402, need help........

Hey Everyone, I have been surfing the FI threads for quite some time now. I purchased a used STS kit from a board member and going to replace the slowmaster with it. Ok as for my car, everything I have purchased hasnt been well thought out. Everything has been bought on a whim, and so far has worked well with each other. I never intented on going turbo but what the hell, I can only go faster right!?!?!

The car itself is a 2001 SS, Moser 12 bolt w/3.73's, SLP valved Bilsteins, SLP progressive springs, Spohn chromoly suspension(Non adjustable LCA's, subframe connectors, swaybar kit, adjustable panhard bar,and adjustable torque arm with loop), stock T56 with hurst shifter and shorten stick, Spec stg.3, 3 inch stainless exhaust with gutted y-pipe, and long tube grott's. FOr the 402, forged bottom end, Eagle stroker crank, Eagle rods, diamond -15cc dish pistons, 6.0L iron block, TEA stage III 6.0L heads 65cc, Cartek 3x cam(told 239/239 ??? 112LSA, bothers me that nobody has a straight answer for full specs other than "I think..." haha),BBK SI 85MM intake, BBK 85MM TB, with stock pulleys and A/C. compression ratio is 10:1.

I am not the smartest when it comes to these engines, but I know a bit. I know the compression ratio is allong the highside for FI, thats why I only plan to run max 12psi. I will be running a front mount, and looking into a meth kit.

Some of the questions and concerns I have are;

1.It comes with a 60 trim T4 turbo, I know this is going to be to small. When I called STS and gave him my car's info he said you can redo the current turbo to a 67 trim or upgrade to a 70 or 71 trim(I cant remember exactly). What would be the best turbo for my situation, I dont want it to run at its full capacity to be at 12psi either.

2.I dont want huge amounts of lag, I know the LT's arent the best choice, but I dont want to switch them. They are coated, but will I have to wrap them and my entire exhaust? Will a small shot of nitrous work well on the bottom end to get the turbo to spool faster plus as a added benifit drop the IAT?

3.Is there a specific blow off valve and wastegate I should use? And why? Yes I am turbo retarded.

4.MY fuel system is stock with 38lbs Lucas injectors and a Walbro 255 intank. What size do I go to 60's? and do I go to a twin intank setup? Or add a inline pump? Will I need new lines and rails?

5.I have never rode in a turbo car other than a TT stealth. My car is probly mid to high 400 rwhp n/a what can I expect? Is 6-700rwhp unreasonable at 12psi?

7.For all the turbo LSx drivers, How nuts is it going to be? I am pretty eager to learn as much as I can regarding turboing V8's.

Thanks in advance for all the help, this site and mostly everyone on here have been great and really helpful.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:18 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
Check this Camaro SS out that we built. It is back at our shop having a larger fuel system installed, and today we had it back on the dyno doing some tuning. One of the cheesy OBX silicone couplers ripped apart with only 10 psi of boost. This is the second time we have had an OBX coupler rip apart on the front mount intercooler kit that STS subcontracted out. You can't find a 2.5" to 3.0" coupler just anywhere, either. Bob
Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

you should and need to run lower compression if those heads are new send them back for 72cc heads, that would lower compression in the 9-9.5:1 range. 10:1 and 12 psi i think you are asking for it in the long run. will the pistons hold together? sure they will, for how long? adding alky injection will help reduce cylinder heat prevent detonation, which would allow you to push the limit of 10:1 @ 12 psi. alky is a safety device.

that turbo for a 402 is too small. i believe the efficiency range runs out around 550 rwhp, which you will be at easily hitting around 8 psi with the motor, cam, heads, intake that you are running. I would suggest ugrading for larger internals for the turbo if they can rebuild it OR sell that small one. Upgrade to something larger for the cubes, big cubes love big turbo's, you have to think about how much exhaust gas that is being omitted through those heads, they will push a large single turbo and spool it up at 3k-3500 RPMS.

the garret GT series tubo's are the bad ***'s out right now. The GT35R would be a bad *** turbo to run if its possible to do it with the STS plumbing and can support 700 rwhp with no problem.

fuel system, 60# injectors, dual walbro's. inline pump which would get you to 650 rwhp. look at racetronix fuel system upgrades and see what they have. may have to upgrade fuel rails with adjustable fuel pressure regulators.

blow off valve is what it is, doesnt matter of the brand, some people have a sound preference when it blows off.

you should have a waste gate with your kit, why does it not have one? stick with whatever STS is using, its proven. OR look at what APS, LPE or even TTi is using for wastegates or many other proven turbo specialty shops.

good luck, id love to see your results, since i am thinking about picking up a F-body to do something similar if this SC300 single turbo build doesnt happen.

Last edited by Blown04Z06; 11-08-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A GT35R will NOT support 700rwhp on a rear mount LS1. It will not support much more then a 60mm unit since its only a 61mm itself. Go with a TC76, it will spool fast on a rear mount and still make big power.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
A GT35R will NOT support 700rwhp on a rear mount LS1. It will not support much more then a 60mm unit since its only a 61mm itself. Go with a TC76, it will spool fast on a rear mount and still make big power.
Why did you chose a TC76 over the TC70 unit? With all the reading I have been doing on here, i keep hearing that it will be tough to get the turbo to spool. Would a smaller turbo like the 70 build boost more efficiently on my car since it is a rear mount, LT headers, and not needing to boost more than 12psi? Please explain. I am a sponge!

Your website has alot of great info, I am glad that the few people that have responded have given me great info. I was hoping to avoid the riff raff that just post negative or moo points.

EPP guy, I am glad you posted that link, I read it a few months ago and lost the link. I am really interested in the intercooler set-up, the stuff I bought has no pipes for the FMIC, it was just something he never got around to. Its just the STS kit.

Blown04Z06, I wish now I could have bigger combustion chambers. Unfortunately I am not pulling the motor out or swapping heads/cam anymore. I think even with the 10:1 compression I should be able to boost it to 12psi without to much worry of blowing it up. After all I only drove it 2,200km last year, so longivity isnt a big deal. I just got to take extra precaution when getting it tuned. FMIC, meth kit, and a small shot of nitrous will all help in their own ways. I live in Canada also so heat is not a major factor.haha.

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew, I know the compression ratio isnt ideal for what i am doing. But with forged internals, iron block, FMIC, and meth I dont think 12psi is asking for to much. After all isnt all LS engines touched by god!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
Check this Camaro SS out that we built. It is back at our shop having a larger fuel system installed, and today we had it back on the dyno doing some tuning. One of the cheesy OBX silicone couplers ripped apart with only 10 psi of boost. This is the second time we have had an OBX coupler rip apart on the front mount intercooler kit that STS subcontracted out. You can't find a 2.5" to 3.0" coupler just anywhere, either. Bob
Hey, he is talking about me!!!
OBX couplers arent used anymore, even though only a few failed. It does take a while to find some transition elbows. I do have a better source now and have not had any failures at all.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_crush
Why did you chose a TC76 over the TC70 unit? With all the reading I have been doing on here, i keep hearing that it will be tough to get the turbo to spool. Would a smaller turbo like the 70 build boost more efficiently on my car since it is a rear mount, LT headers, and not needing to boost more than 12psi? Please explain. I am a sponge!

Your website has alot of great info, I am glad that the few people that have responded have given me great info. I was hoping to avoid the riff raff that just post negative or moo points.

EPP guy, I am glad you posted that link, I read it a few months ago and lost the link. I am really interested in the intercooler set-up, the stuff I bought has no pipes for the FMIC, it was just something he never got around to. Its just the STS kit.

Blown04Z06, I wish now I could have bigger combustion chambers. Unfortunately I am not pulling the motor out or swapping heads/cam anymore. I think even with the 10:1 compression I should be able to boost it to 12psi without to much worry of blowing it up. After all I only drove it 2,200km last year, so longivity isnt a big deal. I just got to take extra precaution when getting it tuned. FMIC, meth kit, and a small shot of nitrous will all help in their own ways. I live in Canada also so heat is not a major factor.haha.

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew, I know the compression ratio isnt ideal for what i am doing. But with forged internals, iron block, FMIC, and meth I dont think 12psi is asking for to much. After all isnt all LS engines touched by god!
We you post about going with a 402. A 402 will easily spin up a TC76 and the compressor map will be better suited for that large of an engine. The TC70 will work as well, but will choke off quicker. Look at Zombie's setup on this board, he is a good reference point for the rear mount kits.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

I would go with a TC72 and split the difference. More power then a 70mm, and less lag then the 76mm. Can't beat that.

Quick Reply: I'm rear mounting my 402, need help........