General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

getting ready to store my WS6???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy getting ready to store my WS6???

hey im getting ready to store my WS6 ....i running into a problem ...i get people who tell me fire the car up at least once a week...in the winter ....and then i get other people who tell me NO...dont fire the car up ...at all ....change the oil and take the batterie out and leave it alone ....what should i do ,,,i have it in a garage...it is not heated ...and i have a cover over it ......just wondering what is should do ...START it once a week and let it run or just shut it down and dont fire it still spring ....thanks guys ...
Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have always been told to take the battery out change the oil and start it once or twice a month for about 15 mins each
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've been storing at least one F-body every winter since 1998. I always follow the same pratice, I leave the battery connected and start the car about once a month, letting it run for 20-30 mins. That way the rings aren't resting in the same spot on the cylinder wall for 5 months. Not to mention it gives me a chance to run the A/C system for awhile allowing it to lubricate. Sometimes I'll put a 10amp charger on the battery for a couple hours before starting the car.

I usually have no more than 200-300 miles on the oil before putting it away for storage.

Some prefer not to start the motor at all, but it's going on 9 years for me now and starting the motor has never caused me an issue.

Check this thread for more info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/416584-things-do-before-storing-your-vehicle.html