Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

nitrous to Forced induction...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous to Forced induction...need some advice

ok...after couple years on the darkside of performance it has come time to make the transition over to a FI application. i am not up to par when it comes to forced induction and have tried the search button but cant come up with all of my answers. please have mercy on me as i am a FI newbie. i am very well aware of the cost of FI so that will not be on my question list...i will try to weed out as many repeated questions as possible.

first ill let ya know what im lookin for in power. id like to be at about 600-650 rwhp. im not lookin to go insane as this is going into a "street" car driven mostly to night cruises and the occasional "sunday" night spot. i have a set of ported ls6 heads which i would like to use untill i can dish out for better ones...i know about the fuel systems and injectors...tuning wont be an issue..all else, cam, bottom end is where i need help with. and also which way to go...small cubed turbo set up or small/big cubed supercharger set up.

here are my questions...

first off im not completely sure if i wanna do turbo or supercharger. im kinda afraid of the "turbo kits" that are offered for ls1s due to the lack of availability and/or companys going out of business rather quickly.

is it possible to make 600-650rwhp with a D1-SC?? what cubes would i need and what cam size?? iim sure my heads will hurt a little but they will be upgraded in the future.

iron block or aluminum for boosted apps?

i know going turbo i would be able to reach my HP goal with no problem but with the exception of the STS kit (which im not a fan in doin cause i dont want to lose my exhaust) there doesnt seem to be a very reliable turbo company thus far. if im incorrect, who do you suggest?? again, this is a street car and i will NOT sacrifice any luxury items such as A/C and heat. im not completely against some modification but i dont want to hack my car up.

basically im leaning towards a D1-SC but have no idea what cubes to do that would enable me to reach my goals.

any help you FI pros can give me will be greatly appreciated as im ready to get started for my winter project. thanx for reading and for any help.

Rick
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

TTT anyone?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the d1sc could get you there. Ive made 695 rwhp with nitrous on an aluminum block with slight head lifting. Only on the dyno,and not at the track. Boost is a little easier on internals. I think a stock cubic inch with the blower and a good front mount intercooler should get you there. You will need a very good matched heads and cam combo and great tune ,with moderate boost levels to do it. This is only my opinion. Good luck with the build.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Here is my opinion. I like turbos. Very easy to get to the power level you want. I am opening my own shop so I am biased. My kits will be based around the tried and proven 6.0L manifolds so losing the A/C rules that out.

On to the D1SC. Assuming your ported LS6 heads are decent 600-650rwhp is attainable with stock cubes and a LS6 intake. Spring for a set of pistons that will yield you a 9:1 compression ratio. Run a LS6 cam or custom blower cam from a sponsor, and pulley the blower for 12-15lbs. Once again assuming eveything else like your fuel and tune is in order 600rwhp shpuld be attianable, and be able to keep the A/C.

I now that is vauge at best, but it is attainable. Look at KP's setup.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

ok..i see what you guys are saying.

as far as the cubes question...wont a bigger cube motor help me out in the long run with attaining my goals?? in other words, wouldnt it make it easier for a turbo/blower to make more power at less PSI levels??
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Yes more cubes will make more power at a give boost level. However if 600-650rwhp will meet your goal, why spend more $$$ than yo have to for the extra cubes?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wickedred
Yes more cubes will make more power at a give boost level. However if 600-650rwhp will meet your goal, why spend more $$$ than yo have to for the extra cubes?
lol....true, but for the reliability factor i would think. pumping 15psi through a small engine to achieve said hp might have more of a wear effect than going 10psi through a bigger engine to make the same amount of power. in theory anyway.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went with my 408 for that exact reason. to make more power with less strain. but we all get greedy so im seeing what the motor will do once i ever get my clutch ive been waiting on. 700h/tq easy i have no idea what its really doing yet. oh yeah this is not a track/drag car either
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair

is it possible to make 600-650rwhp with a D1-SC??

All day long. Hell I am at the 550 rwhp level with a small cam and stock heads @10 psi with a P1SC.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
All day long. Hell I am at the 550 rwhp level with a small cam and stock heads @10 psi with a P1SC.

+1, a buddy made 633RWHP with a P1 cam-only stock engine... and no it wasn't a Vette. It was good enough to get him a 10.48 last season with his M6.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVC707
i went with my 408 for that exact reason. to make more power with less strain. but we all get greedy so im seeing what the motor will do once i ever get my clutch ive been waiting on. 700h/tq easy i have no idea what its really doing yet. oh yeah this is not a track/drag car either
very nice....i checked out the thread in your sig with all the pics but none of them show the supercharger down in the engine bay. have any pics of a down view of the super charger??? it looks super huge, have to do any modification to make it fit???

thanx for all the responses guys....its been a big help.

any idea on a really good cam for the 408??
Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it fits just fine ill take a picture later today.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

ttt.....iron block or aluminum??
Old 11-09-2006, 11:28 PM
7 Second Club

if your looking for 650rwhp id stick with a big cube, nice headed, nitrous motor... i kinda regret taking the plunge into the FI department... its soo expensive.....

get the new gm aluminum production block with a 4'' stroke and have about 600 fwhp on motor and then add a 200 shot of juice for a nice fast ride...

thats my opinion..

nitrous is just sooo easy... especially if you dont tune the car yourself... you can have the motor tuned and then change the shot by switching out pills in your direct port kit....
Old 11-09-2006, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

I agree somewhat, but tuning software is a drop in the bucket with FI.... and somewhat mandatory IMO.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

ive done the nitrous...TNT F2 kit which was later upgraded to a Fast 90/90 combo with a customer direct port. ive ran into some issues with the juice and would rather do forced induction. i know what kind of money im gonna be spending but i wanna do it right the first time.
in the long run nitrous ends up costing more than a supercharger or turbo anyway...ive spent over 4k in nitrous with both kits and bottle fill ups...so i continue to use nitrous at say 60 or so bucks a week in bottle refills, you do the math.
i love nitrous, dont get me wrong, hardest kick in the pants ive ever felt. but its time for me to move on.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
ive done the nitrous...TNT F2 kit which was later upgraded to a Fast 90/90 combo with a customer direct port. ive ran into some issues with the juice and would rather do forced induction. i know what kind of money im gonna be spending but i wanna do it right the first time.
in the long run nitrous ends up costing more than a supercharger or turbo anyway...ive spent over 4k in nitrous with both kits and bottle fill ups...so i continue to use nitrous at say 60 or so bucks a week in bottle refills, you do the math.
i love nitrous, dont get me wrong, hardest kick in the pants ive ever felt. but its time for me to move on.
well 650rwhp can easily be had with a d1sc and a stock headed forged internals 346... and even easier with a 402+CI motor

Quick Reply: nitrous to Forced induction...need some advice