New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think i may have a problem. help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i may have a problem. help please!

1. okay after i drove like 4 hours straight i parked my car and i noticed while my gear was still on [D] my car made this wierd noise like woosh woosh woosh woosh in the motor, its hard to describe. why? (only heard it that one time)

2. when i accelerate from 0-15 and release the pedal i hear a pop metal sound underneath. what is that?

3. when i was driving 400 miles everytime i accelerate i hear this metal ticking sorta noise by the gas tank. what is that? (only heard it during that trip)

4. i drove this 94 formula today it was for sale for $3500 w/ 131k miles. and a rebuilt motor w/ 100 miles. it was stock. when i drove her she felt real good, the gas pedal was really responsive, peppy, perky, call it what you will but it through me back on my seat and i was barely touching the pedal. i was so jealous i rushed home and hopped on my 98 trans am w/ 51k miles and began to compare the 2. and what i noticed was my car was smoother but the pedal response wasnt quite as quick and "alive" as the lt1 i drove earlier. i thought the lt1 i drove earlier was somewhat quicker. what the f? ls1's are supposedly quicker right?

i'd appreciate all the input guys. thanx!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
1. okay after i drove like 4 hours straight i parked my car and i noticed while my gear was still on [D] my car made this wierd noise like woosh woosh woosh woosh in the motor, its hard to describe. why? (only heard it that one time)
Need more info, you were just sitting there with the brake on, in drive, and your engine was making a "woosh" sound?
2. when i accelerate from 0-15 and release the pedal i hear a pop metal sound underneath. what is that?
Need more info.
could be numerous things, y pipe hitting floor board, broken tranny mount, etc.
3. when i was driving 400 miles everytime i accelerate i hear this metal ticking sorta noise by the gas tank. what is that? (only heard it during that trip)
Full throttle acceleration? Check your 02 sensors on your y pipe, they, or the metal housings around them, may be loose.
4. i drove this 94 formula today it was for sale for $3500 w/ 131k miles. and a rebuilt motor w/ 100 miles. it was stock. when i drove her she felt real good, the gas pedal was really responsive, peppy, perky, call it what you will but it through me back on my seat and i was barely touching the pedal. i was so jealous i rushed home and hopped on my 98 trans am w/ 51k miles and began to compare the 2. and what i noticed was my car was smoother but the pedal response wasnt quite as quick and "alive" as the lt1 i drove earlier. i thought the lt1 i drove earlier was somewhat quicker. what the f? ls1's are supposedly quicker right?
A4 or M6? Are you absolutely positive it was stock? Could have had better gears than your car. Are you running 91-93 octane?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. yes it was making a woosh sound. before i parked i was traveling on this rediculous hilly road at the mojave dessert in cali. for 25 miles it was litterally up and down every 3 seconds. and i mean up and down. not bumps but mini hills with a road.

3. no not full throttle acceleration. i was averaging 75-85 mph.

4. both cars i compared were a4's. yeah it was stock. well his engine was rebuilt with only 100 miles on it and his exhausts were 2 round tips. is that stock? exhausts was shiney.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
1. yes it was making a woosh sound. before i parked i was traveling on this rediculous hilly road at the mojave dessert in cali. for 25 miles it was litterally up and down every 3 seconds. and i mean up and down. not bumps but mini hills with a road.
Can you be any more descriptive about the woosh sound? Like a sucking sound? And it would keep repeating? When did it stop?
3. no not full throttle acceleration. i was averaging 75-85 mph.
So around those speeds, and only those speeds it would make the sound? Still check the 02 sensors.
4. both cars i compared were a4's. yeah it was stock. well his engine was rebuilt with only 100 miles on it and his exhausts were 2 round tips. is that stock? exhausts was shiney.
If the LT1 trully was quicker, then it was modded, or something is wrong with your car. My bet is it had gears, did it shift harder or quicker? Could have had a shift kit too. Was the exhaust loud, or louder than your car? If it was, its not stock.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i run 91 gas. woosh sound stopped because i parked her for the night.