Sponsored by:

LS1 clutch hydrolics question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 clutch hydrolics question

first off i have a 2000 trans am WS6

i think i heard a while back but isnt there some kind of problem with the 98-00 clutch master cylinder and slave on the LS1's i couldnt remember the year range for sure but i remember seeing alot of people upgrade to the newer versions. the reason i ask is i got on my car for the first time since i bought it today start 1-4th gear and when i went to shift to 5th i pushed the clutch in and for some reason i missed 5th it just wouldnt go in. so then my clutch was like stuck on the floor (not all then way ont he floor but pretty damn low, so i pulled it off the floor with my foot and slowed down (clutch wasnt engaged while this happend for some reason) and then i pulled up to a stop sign and the clutch was fine again. but ever since i got it it seems like it ha a little too much play....im not sure if i just need to bleed the clutch of if i have a bad master cylinder or if i need to upgrade. only time i have ever had this problem but the clutch master just feels kinda sloppy to me. if you upgrade to the newer style does everything bolt right up? or is there any modification required. any help on the subject would be great thanks alot.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There aren't any modifications needed to swap to the new stuff. I would suggest going with a Mcleod adjustable master cylinder, a new 01+ slave cylinder, and lastly do the drill mod to the steel braided line. Do a search for the drill mod and you'll find write-ups for that mod along with master cylinder replacement. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
There aren't any modifications needed to swap to the new stuff. I would suggest going with a Mcleod adjustable master cylinder, a new 01+ slave cylinder, and lastly do the drill mod to the steel braided line. Do a search for the drill mod and you'll find write-ups for that mod along with master cylinder replacement. Good luck!
Word.

While you are changing the slave, do the clutch while you are in there. The slave cylinder on 98-00 are weak sauce, lol. My clutch will stick to the floor, the peddle feels 'squishy' and weak.

(Don't get an adjustable master cylinder with all clutches, ex: Textralia)
Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably get more responses and information in the Manual Transmission section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/