General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Trans Am headlight fix problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am headlight fix problems

Ok I have used search first of all and cannot find this problem (may have over looked forums though). From the sounds of what i've read the gear is stripped. Well it only made the noise when the headlights went to the down position, so today I took it off and switched it to the other side of the gear and now it makes the noise when it goes up but not the noise going down...what did I do wrong or whats wrong with the car? Is the whole gear stripped? Would a brass gear fix it, and how hard is a brass gear to install on a scale of 1 to 10 10 being the easiest. I'd rate making the headlight use the other side of the gear about a 9 on difficulty (that damn cover for the headlight was a bitch to get aligned perfectly)

(dunno if this matters but my car has 75k on it and looks as if its been maintained well)

Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

If you are not the original owner, then it is possible that the previous owner already flipped the gear around once before.
Get the brass gear. If you can do the free fix, then you can handle this.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check sticky #2 in the 'vehicle specific forum" under firebird 67-02 and all the help you need is there,lots of great info on the headlight problem.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

I think the gear is just completely stripped...the brass gears are 45 bucks! damn figured lil gear like that would be cheaper, but I guess for the noise its fixing 45 bucks isnt that bad. I"m hoping that'll fix it.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
I think the gear is just completely stripped...the brass gears are 45 bucks! damn figured lil gear like that would be cheaper, but I guess for the noise its fixing 45 bucks isnt that bad. I"m hoping that'll fix it.
Te brass gear is a fine piece of work and the guy just has them done more of as a service to the f-body community and does not really make anyhting off of selling them. They are worth it. Do both motors at oncxe and be done with it.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

read my post here too, do that and it will be Ok forever. The motor in these things is great its that damn plastic gear that sucks, and once you break the case open you have weakened it also. I got a good fix. read it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/605873-i-f-ing-hate-trans-am-headlights.html
Old 11-12-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266
read my post here too, do that and it will be Ok forever. The motor in these things is great its that damn plastic gear that sucks, and once you break the case open you have weakened it also. I got a good fix. read it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605873
..oh yes.. thank you sir!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

yes i'm thinking I will just order the brass one. I do have another ? though. When i switched my gear around to use the other have it made the noise when going up instead of going down (obviously the whole gear is stripped) well my ? is when I set my alarm (factory) the headlights come up and down the the horn beeps. It did not do this when I set it the reverse way. The horn would just beep twice and the lights would not come up and go back down. Why is this?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
yes i'm thinking I will just order the brass one. I do have another ? though. When i switched my gear around to use the other have it made the noise when going up instead of going down (obviously the whole gear is stripped) well my ? is when I set my alarm (factory) the headlights come up and down the the horn beeps. It did not do this when I set it the reverse way. The horn would just beep twice and the lights would not come up and go back down. Why is this?
When the headlight motors are jacked up it messes with the alarm for some weird reason. Mine was doing the same thing and fixing the headlight motors fixed all those goofy issues. Pretty weird huh?