Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, dont bite my balls off, but, seriously, biggest cam for stock stall ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, dont bite my ***** off, but, seriously, biggest cam for stock stall ?

I am just getting ideas from those that actually play with this stuff. Whats the biggest cam you could go with a stock stall and still be in the "efficiant" ball park range? Hey, if it is nothing bigger than stock, thats fine, just say so, so, fire away, thanks.

P.S. Duration and lift numbers appreciated, not that lift should matter tho............... right, lol???
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Something like CheaTR. Basicaly a cam with a good negative overlap so it doesn't pull on the stall.
Some poeple "tolerate" a 224/224 114
In short a cam that will idle at or 50 rpm higher than stock
Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would get a converter before the cam no questions asked.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HA HA HA, not too many people want to touch this question. Thanks PREDATOR-Z, nice to see you have an open mind about this no matter where my theory goes, speaking of which, transamfreak01.... I am going with a small ***** cam, maybe 200-220 max range. If my cam likes a 1500-2000 stall, why would I want one if that’s where I am already on a roll? I am not dragging the car, so, I do not need to get to 2k from a stand still, and, I would be there pretty quick with the mash of the pedal anyways. I like to look at things from all angles, ones that make sense and ones that don’t. I am big enough to make a collective judgment, I just need facts and info, not what people "think" and "read".

Now, pleeeeease, just tell me what I need to know!

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding - management
Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

230/236 would work great Just kidding. I don't think you will have a problem with the 220. I would even try a 224 if it was mine. If you can get a good tune so it would idle good in gear then a 224 would be great
Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A stall will still work wonders from a roll as it will flash when you go to WOT bringing you into the power band much better. That combined with shift extension would make a massive difference.

A stock LS1 with a 3400-3600rpm stall is a totally different beast from a stock torque converter.

As for which cam, well I guess pretty much any that you are prepared to live with. M6 cars can run the Trex no problem and they don't have a stall at all and must always go thru the rpms. Only with an auto it will just make your car a pig to drive and very slow when off cam.

If you don't want too wild go for something like a 3200rpm stall and a TR 224/224. But in all reality you could have a lot more for only a little less hassle and the same money.

3600rpm stall and a Torquer V3 would probably be a pretty badass setup with pretty decent road manners. Although it would probably be a bit of a beast when you got on it.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

i like the whole dont bite my ***** of comment....get something kinda small i second the 224 or less..
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

I agree something smallish with a higher LSA. 222/224 114LSA.

Just curious what is motivating you to retain the stock converter anyway?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm curious, too. I want to keep the stock stall and have a real nice lope. I'm also not racing mine, but would like it to have some power, nonetheless.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Azrael
I agree something smallish with a higher LSA. 222/224 114LSA.

Just curious what is motivating you to retain the stock converter anyway?
Originally Posted by cvman
I'm curious, too. I want to keep the stock stall and have a real nice lope. I'm also not racing mine, but would like it to have some power, nonetheless.
From the first post, where he mentions efficiency, I assume it is a daily driver and fuel economy is still a concern. Have you seen some of the MPG numbers people are getting with 3600+ stalls? I'm sure they are great when you want the thing to run like a bitch, but when you are driving back and forth to work getting low teens at the pump, it sucks.

PREDATOR-Z made the best recommendation - the CheaTR cam will work great for you. I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on that.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hammertime
From the first post, where he mentions efficiency, I assume it is a daily driver and fuel economy is still a concern. Have you seen some of the MPG numbers people are getting with 3600+ stalls? I'm sure they are great when you want the thing to run like a bitch, but when you are driving back and forth to work getting low teens at the pump, it sucks.

PREDATOR-Z made the best recommendation - the CheaTR cam will work great for you. I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on that.
Uhh... Our car, is my daily driver, and I still get better MPG than that! It is all about keeping the foot out of the throttle and driving conservatively. Biggest bang for the buck will still be with a larger stall TC.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thing is, I live in an area that is full on stop and go traffic. You have heard of the legendary LA traffic, thats what I have around here. I have 4 stop lights to get through leaving my home in less than a mile, and it just continues. If I do not pick the right combo for my car, if that is possible under such driving conditions, MPG is really really going to suck. I need to find the best deal/combo that alows me to deal with s**t traffic 60% of the time, keeping my sanity, having the AC on and not going to the gas pumps each trip to work. 224's that work with most, might not be viable for me. I also am afraid of the emiisions man as my luck sucks and I dont want to be sweating when this cam is in and "hoping" to get a good tune from it so it will pass.

Anyone have a nice vespa for sale?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=csmc711]I am just getting ideas from those that actually play with this stuff. Whats the biggest cam you could go with a stock stall and still be in the "efficiant" ball park range? Hey, if it is nothing bigger than stock, thats fine, just say so, so, fire away, thanks.

P.S. Duration and lift numbers appreciated, not that lift should matter tho............... right, lol???[/QUOTE

How about the Stealth II cam 224/220/.581/116 lsa.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by csmc711
Thing is, I live in an area that is full on stop and go traffic. You have heard of the legendary LA traffic, thats what I have around here. I have 4 stop lights to get through leaving my home in less than a mile, and it just continues. If I do not pick the right combo for my car, if that is possible under such driving conditions, MPG is really really going to suck. I need to find the best deal/combo that alows me to deal with s**t traffic 60% of the time, keeping my sanity, having the AC on and not going to the gas pumps each trip to work. 224's that work with most, might not be viable for me. I also am afraid of the emiisions man as my luck sucks and I dont want to be sweating when this cam is in and "hoping" to get a good tune from it so it will pass.

Anyone have a nice vespa for sale?
I have driven through LA quite a few times. BTW I live in the SF Bay Area which has traffic very comparable, I actually live on the Peninsula and commute into the City...

I just hate to see you waste time and money on minimal gains from something as involved as a Cam swap. If you are going to leave it all basically stock then IMHO you would enjoy just a higher stall TC and gears more than just a Cam on a stock TC, and have less to worry about come smog time... YMMV
Old 11-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I just hate to see you waste time and money on minimal gains from something as involved as a Cam swap. If you are going to leave it all basically stock then IMHO you would enjoy just a higher stall TC and gears more than just a Cam on a stock TC, and have less to worry about come smog time... YMMV
Agreed. Perhaps, based on what you are looking for, a cam isn't the right thing for you. You could get the same 30 whp from LT's that you will from a baby cam.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

see, that is what I am thinking, minimal gains for such pain, but, here is another kicker for you.

WHEN I get my 99+, I expect it to have some miles, unless god has a hand in it, but, it is useually his finger in my eye that I get, so.......

1) Engine will be rebuilt. installing a new cam is not a big deal.

2) I have decided LT,s are going on........maybe, lol, depending on the cam. If I really really really need the flow, then its a go. DOnt think I need t get headers and move the powerband around, just yet. I like it low when I go. Then again, I always complained when my 270?-ish SS would spin the vette tires at a 20 mile an hour roll in 1st (stick). Maybe move the power band up?

3) I DONT want to have to wind this thing out to get/feel the power. Ahhhhh, damn that moving the power band up theory!!

4) Some one said to just go bigger on the cubes, well, thats an option too, but, still need a cam as my sock cam will now be/feel smaller in the bigger cubed engine.

decisions decisions........

I am not ruling out a stall, I am just seeing what cams can squeak by without one. I also have at least 5 engine variables going on in my head and I am not locked on just one. I am bouncing around parts and ideas.

Thanks for all the help and ideas so far all.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

How would a 2400 stall act on the street? csmc711, I'm in exactly the same boat as you, except I don't have to worry about emissions because it's going in a 56 Chevy. The wife is worried that the gas mileage is going to suck, although I'm sure it will be WAY better than the old school engines.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uhh... Our car, is my daily driver, and I still get better MPG than that! It is all about keeping the foot out of the throttle and driving conservatively. Biggest bang for the buck will still be with a larger stall TC.
I agree with you 100%, a converter is the first performance mod that anyone should make with an automatic LS1.

From your cardomain page, I see you are running a 3400 stall. I picked 3600+ as an arbitrary number, but I've seen plenty of people recommending 4000 or 4400 stalls for street driven cars. I'm guessing that you might even benefit from more stall, but of course it's always a compromise.

Not that I'm singling you out. It looks like you have a healthy setup, and obviously did a good job selecting parts. What kind of mileage are you getting?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a 2400 stall on my old car and didnt really like it for everyday driving and street use, but, when I had two fat *** people in the car (4 people total) and took off from a stop, I was off! mileage was okay though for the most part.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

LT headers will improve your power throughout the whole powerband.

Quick Reply: Okay, dont bite my balls off, but, seriously, biggest cam for stock stall ?