LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

another opti-spark dites the dust!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another opti-spark bites the dust!

yep, another crapped-out on me today... without warning at all this time, drove it home on monday, no problems, shut it off... went out to move it today, and wouldn't hit a lick, no spark out of the wires, and the opti-connector is corroded like hell!

damn LT1's... this bitch is gettin' the boot once I get it fixed... looking in to an LS1 car now, hell with this ****!

Last edited by Mighty Whitey; 11-09-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 AM
11 Second Club

could be the brand your putting in. I've had some trouble with the new MSD caps..but I agree the opti does suck..
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

I just got the MSD opti and am waiting on my computer to get back from being tuned, hope it's alright then. The MSD is a real nice looking piece, I almost want to just mount it on my wall rather than cover it up with the water pump lol
Old 11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

I've cooled down a little bit, and don't think I should get rid of the car...

there's no way in the world I'd spend $500 on an opti-spark of any kind... I'd just assume spend that much on a megasquirt and an old distributor setup.

I am. however, going to run the opti spark as just a "crank trigger" so to speak, and stick a distributor in the back of the intake (like they've done since the 50's) JUST to run the plug wires off of.

seems to me, the opti's problem with moisture isn't what I'd see as the main problem, more along the lines of stray spark energy form the rotor button grounding out on to the base (hell, .5% of the spark energy coming form the coil is still probably 10 times what the optical sensor is designed to handle!) and well, frying the optical sensor, no?

I'm going to modify a TBI truck distributor to fit, by cutting an inch out of the base, and welding it back up, and just cutting and inch off the shaft, and re-drilling the roll-pin hole.

should work, I hope, if not all I've wasted is time, cuz the dist. was free